Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Help With Turbos 101...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lostinthe202

lostinthe202

Currently Lost in the 510

• Members
  • 1,094 posts
  • Oakland, Ca

Posted 22 January 2009 - 09:12 PM

OK, so my dirty little secret is that I don't know squat about turbos. I've never owned a turbo car until now.

Aside from a specific shape to the mounting points, what makes one turbo different from another? Size of the rotor or impeller or squirl-cage or whatever is in the "snail"?

Can two turbos of similar size be interchanged if you provide for the difference in mounts?

The TDI motor I have I don't think has it's turbo included. I've been looking into them and they are expensive buggers so I thought about adapting the turbo from the ea82t I just pulled out of the GL-10.

If it turns out that I really should be using the VW turbo, what would one look for if they were to go JY turbo shopping? Anything besides the obvious loose/noisy/grinding bearings and miles on the car?

Thanks!!!

Will-

#2 Turbone

Turbone

The Original Rob

• 12,124 posts
  • WA

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:50 PM

Check out this web site, very informative and better relates to your TDI.
http://europeancar.a...ions/index.html

#3 lostinthe202

lostinthe202

Currently Lost in the 510

• Members
  • 1,094 posts
  • Oakland, Ca

Posted 14 February 2009 - 08:06 PM

Thanks for the link, I had given this post up for dead.

Will-

#4 subiemech85

subiemech85

SIX STAR SERVICE

• Members
  • 2,710 posts
  • down by the river

Posted 15 February 2009 - 03:30 AM

A/R

here's the link for 102, 101 and 103 also available http://www.turbobyga...bo_tech102.html

#5 nvexplorer

nvexplorer

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 199 posts
  • Reno

Posted 25 April 2009 - 08:32 PM

I haven't read through all of the links, but all have an oil line going to them. Make sure you can either reroute and adapt the oil line if it isn't a VW. Also, some use engine coolant in addition to engine oil to cool the turbo. That would also have to be addressed. Inlet and outlet diameters can be different, Wastegate placement and control may be different, and as you already said, how they mount to the engine and exhaust might be a fun challenge. Good luck!

#6 joostvdw

joostvdw

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 609 posts
  • Holland

Posted 27 April 2009 - 07:01 AM

The biggest difference between gasoline and diesel turbo's is the RPM they work on. The ea turbo spools up at about 2500-3000 rpm on a 1800cc, if you put this on your diesel (which has almost the same cc I guess) it would spool way to late to be of any use.

If you were to use a turbo from lets say a kei car (600cc) it would spool very quickly, but wouldn't be able to support the air flow at higher RPMs.

Turbo diesel engines also operate at higher boost levels, but if you're adding a turbo to a non turbo diesel the lower boost wouldn't be a bad idea ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users