Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil Filters and the ADV

Skip

The subject of Subaru engines needing and or using ADVs (Anti Drainback Valves) was brought up on the Oil filter post by OZsubie.

To continue

Setright says

Skip, there is no rubber valve under the inlet holes in the Sube filters I install. For sure. Oil runs out from these holes when I prime it to the brim.

Setright, you are correct, on the factory filter designed for EJ series engines, there is no ADV, however the aftermarket (Purolator, Wix, ect), do have an ADV. I just went out to the shed and tested several. I will show results of the test if necessary.

The Subaru tech info on the EJ series says the oil pump is designed to hold oil, so that it's always primed, even after not running for a long time. I would suggest that in conjunction with the filter orientation, that function negates the need for the ADV.

I have no trouble with this, but the discussion was for an EA82 series which I do not think has this technology. Couple this with the fact that the filter sits horizonal, having an ADV is a bonus.

Furthermore the oil galleries that serve the Hydraulic Lash Adjusters are formed to separate air bubbles before they enter the HLA.

I applaud your knowledge of the EJ series engine. I have owned several and have never expierenced lifter clack, piston slap yes, lifter noise no.

Is it possible, Subaru engineers figured this out from the problems encountered with the EA82 and incorporated it in the EJ series?

Again this discussion was started and centered on the EA82 series. On this series I believe an ADV is a valuable asset.

Continuing from the trampling of the previous post:

Has anyone used Beck-Arnley filters? I use one on my wife's Camry because it looks identical to the Toyota version - the B/A rep told me a long time ago that they buy from the same factories as the OEM for their parts.

NAPA gold (and Carquest's best filter, for that matter) are Wix.

NAPA oil is manufactured by Ashland oil, the parent company of Valvoline, and I can't imagine they put a different additive package in them - they have just released high-mileage and synthetic NAPA branded oill, and the bottles are even the same color as Valvoline's offerings.

That web page in the other post is really fascinating! I read it a while back and couldn't put it down:D

This is what I found out:

purolator has 3 lines of filters, and I sniffed them all over looking for any indication of an ADV, and could find it only on Pure One (the top line; please correct me if I'm wrong). I have to add this: until recently I knew that there was an ADV in the filter only if the box stated so.

I don't know about other stores, but at Pep Boys I never found a Pure One to fit my Sub.

At the times I worked for Pep Boys and it was pretty hard on my poor bone structures, therefore I didn't really feel like shopping around too much. Thank God I no longer work there! All in all I learned quite a bit, but after a while it got old.

I find it strange that only the Pure 1 would have the ADV. The article did not bring this to light.

The Purolater filter I tested in my shop was a Pure 1.

I will have to check the others in the line, and get back at ya.

The evidence of an ADV is visable BTW.

Skip, the article was written in 1999(?), if I'm not mistaken. Things could have changed. And, as I said, at the times I wouldn't know the difference by looking at the filters; boxes didn't mention it, that's for sure.

Here's a link related to testing ADV's. I thought, it's a real neat idea. I'm going to test mine as I go now on! It's a bit lengthy, but I enjoyed reading it. Does it makes sense?

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=001032

I'm pretty sure that the Bosch filters I use on all my EA/R vehicles have an ADV in them. I could be wrong, and don't have one off a vehicle right now. But I can tell you that I don't have any ticking coming for the OHC engines, and only a minor bit from the OHV's lifters, but I don't think it's related to the filter. The ER had ticking issues before the bosch, but at the time time I changed the filter, I flushed out the lube system, so it could have been one or the other or both.

This is another useful if true "hear say" fact:

"Silicon ADV's are all an orange or off-white color, so they are pretty easy to spot ...There is generally no carbon black used as a filler in silicon, hence the color."

(comes from Bobbyoilguy page).

Top notch test!

Of course, the best solution, the one that avoids risking a bad ADV is the way EJ oil filters are mounted - open end up.

True, the oil galleries reach higher than the filter mounting surface, and would therefore encourage a bit of drain back. The clever design of the oil pump inlet and outlet should stop a total drain back though. Both are sited low down, meaning that the oil has to flow up through the outlet and up into the pump before it can drain down through the inlet.

How much resistance does a ADV put on oil flow?