Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So Sad to Ask, but Someday, Somehow it should gonna Happen:

When Our Older Generation of Subies, Will Fall into the Historic Generation?

By the Evidence, I see that a New Generation is Classified -Well, Some Sort of- by the Engine's Technology & Family, Also by Body Design.

That's Why the Loyale (EA) is Older Generation, even if they was still Available New untill 1994, and Legacies (EJ) are New Generation, even if they Started to Sell them as Early as 1989.

So, Seeing http://www.boxerdiesel.com/ Website, about the New Subaru's Engine Technology, and Seeing the New Body Stile with Doors that have Frames ... :mellow: ... I Believe that the Day when our EA Engined Subies from the Eighties and Nineties, will become part of the Historic Gen Too, is Near ... With all these UnSubaru Changes, and the Development of the New Toyota AE86 (Trueno) by Subaru, and Posibly the new Camry...

NewToyota86bySubaru.jpg

What do you Think About that?

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all the current USDM subarus still use EJ-series engines (or EZs....which are very similar). and all the info I've seen about the new Toybaru coupe looks like it's still got an EJ engine and suspension very closely based on the current impreza's.

still VERY similar to the 1989 Legacies.

I don't know about "historic" per se. Or even "classic".

But my 83 GL wagon is now considered "antique" :lol:

"The Antique Automobile Club of America defines an antique car as 25 years old or older."

And most US states also go by that. So this means I can now get antique plates. :lol: :lol:

Ya know, senior Loyale, you have a good point.

I think that the new Imp, Tribeca and Forester should fall under the SOT.

(Subaru of Tomorrow)

The Imp has the framed windows and they all have a more common(?) look to

them.

Yes there is the matter of the same engine class and design, but they are

available with the diesel in other countries.

Just my two bites.

Twitch

In Washington State 25 years and older also means no more Emission Tests! Ironically enough I just completed the SPFI conversion on my 83 GL Wagon and now that it's exempt it runs cleaner than it ever did before:rolleyes:

Yeah in Oregon it's still 1975 or newer still gets tested. (I was hoping my GL was exempt)

When I had my old Volvo it was 25 years but they must have changed it or something. :-\

diesel is a very close cousin to the EZ and EJ motors. sharing the same bellhousing, same basic layout. and the timing chain setup is very similar to the one used on the EZs.

yea...it's only a matter of time before they make some serious changes. yea, framed windows......no more #@$%ing wind noise! but they're still subaru at heart. still interchangeable parts, still the same wonderful symmetrical AWD.

i hope they don't add the window frames to the doors. The way they build the chassis now, all the rigidity, and safety structure is in the body. It saves weight from the door, and makes the car more safe. It is why the cars are so dang strong and safe...wind noise is really the only downfall, but the saftey factor outweighs the noise problem.

How to tell if your 'Older Gen' becomes historic?

Maybe in the future when you finally have to cave in and convert it to electric when gas goes over $10 gallon...

(Sticks finger down throat)

Yeah. Well, maybe then you set up a still and start making your OWN fuel.

This is the New Lineup, with Windows' Frames and Diesel Engines

( Diesel is available in Europe, Asia and Latin America! :D )

TurbodieselBoxer.jpg

There are some People who Already converted their Subies to Electric Power.

Maybe also I could do it in the Future if it Becomes Po$ible, you Know...

See this Electric Impreza Racing: http://www.proev.com/

Also, The Electric Forester, See: http://www.ecoautoinc.com/

I think the framed doors is a good idea, although all my GLs were actually very quiet. I was very suprised at how noisy my Impreza was when I first drove it. I don't know what I want more, a diesel Impreza or a diesel Forester. I can only imagine the fuel mileage the Impreza would be capable of with a diesel :eek:.

They seem to be breaking new ground now that they're paired up with Toyota. Don't remember them trying new things like this when they were partially owned by GM... other than Chevrolet badged Subarus in other countries.

i hope they don't add the window frames to the doors.

Too late... the 08 model year did it.... at least for Imps and Foresters, and the Tribeca... that's just odd.

Yes, my Justy's odd too.... :):cool:

In general, my car fleet is tending more towards older cars as I get more money. In college, it was 80's subies because they were cheap (to buy and run) and 4wd. But now that I can spend more than 3 figures if I want, I'm generally picking older stuff that's in good shape.

Yes, the Justy is a '91, but I'm selling my '89GL and getting the '82 running again, and lifted and such. I'm thinking of getting rid of someother other newer stuff sitting around, and getting a '68 Landrover 109 station wagon.

im 21, and today when i was giving my gl parts car the compton treatment :) there was that weird moment when i realized that the car i was stripping down has been together and running strong since before i was born, gave me a minute of pause for sure.

i don't think that the 80's subarus should ever be historic well until my daugthers driving one at least.

when you stop and look at the features in an 80's subaru power damn near everything, great mpg, good emissions it puts them way ahead of their time. ive owned ALOT of cars and my first car was an 86 trans am 350 fi and the 86 gl i was taking apart had just as many spiffy features as most of my mid-late 90's cars.

im still kind of new to subarus in general i come from a racing background in cars and have always been huge into talons (owned 13 so far) and these cars, allbeit quirky and new to me in alot of ways just seem better.

with my taxes i had two options:

350 awhp talon, or a couple XT's and a DL and i have decided on the subarus. i can confidently say that at least my DD for the forseeable future will always be a scooby.........

these cars RULE:banana: might get a dsm for a track car but everything aside since i bought my 2000 OBW because i had a daughter there really hasn't been another choice in my book.

Call me backwards but historic means original starting the lines, true classics, and as long as on a weekly basis i spot a gl, or a loyale in my little town that i don't recognize they will just be the best cars age doesn't matter.

sorry for the long post its late and i've had way to much BAWLS..

SUBARUS FTW!!!

• 4 weeks later...

in the early 1980's i was able to buy my first car.. a 1965 vw beetle, i took it all apart and made it into a baha style of road machine, i purchased it for 50 bucks, in the next 10 years i purchased about 7 more cheap $50 to $350 dollars, now the same cars today would be $1500 to $4000 dollars. i can already see the supply of gl's and loyal's dissapearing in these parts, i havnt seen a local sube for sale here in a year or so. i usally buy any subie within 100 miles if there reasonabley priced ,running or not . im up to 2 sedans, and 3 wagons. id buy 1 a week if i could find them , im planning a trip to washington state, hopfully i can get a rust free body, dont even care if it runs, and dollying it home, another treasure for my wife to look at :grin:

• 1 month later...

More information about the Subaru Boxer EE20 Diesel Engine:

Displacement .............. 1998cc
Maximum output ............ 110kw(150PS)/3600rpm
Maximum torque ............ 350N·m/1800rpm
CO2 emission .............. 148g/km
Compression ratio ......... 16.3
Bore X Stroke ............. 86.0 × 86.0mm
Bore pitch ................ 98.4mm
Bank offset ............... 46.8mm
Deck height ............... 220mm
Journal diameter .......... φ67mm
Pin diameter .............. φ55mm
Rod center distance ....... 134mm
Piston pin diameter ....... φ31mm
Compression height ........ 43.0mm
Fuel injection system ..... common rail
Turbocharger .............. variable nozzle turbocharger
EGR ....................... water cooled
DPF ....................... open
Total length .............. 353.5mm

For Those who are Thinking about Swapping a Subaru Diesel EE20 Boxer engine in an Older Subie, it's the same width as an EJ20, and over two inches shorter than that engine, so physically, it should fit ... :D ...  See: ~► http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english/NEWS_EN/20080222/147866

Pictures of the New 3.6L Legacy for 2010:

2010-Subaru-Legacy-18.jpg

2010-Subaru-Legacy-11.jpg

You can See that it have Windows Frames...

Well, I've sure noticed a change at the local pick and pull. Used to be they'd have a half dozen of the eighties EA82 style cars at any time, now lucky to have one or two. Everything's now late 80's - early 90's. I guess it's time for me to 'upgrade' to that '96 2.2 outback now that used parts are cheap?

For Those who are Thinkin`about to Swap a Diesel Boxer engine in an Older Subie, it's the same width as an EJ20, and over two inches shorter than that engine, so physically, it should fit ... :D ...

It's too bad that all that torque would destroy an EA82 transmission. Does anybody know if that new 6-speed is available with low range anywhere in the world?

• 1 year later...