Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Older Generation Becoming Historic?

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#26 BeefaRu

BeefaRu

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 304 posts
  • Denver

Posted 02 September 2010 - 08:56 PM

Well, I've sure noticed a change at the local pick and pull. Used to be they'd have a half dozen of the eighties EA82 style cars at any time, now lucky to have one or two. Everything's now late 80's - early 90's. I guess it's time for me to 'upgrade' to that '96 2.2 outback now that used parts are cheap?

Good call. My little lady has that car w/ standard tranny. Solid beast it is.

#27 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Gold Subscribers
  • 5,385 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 26 October 2010 - 03:23 AM

... categorizing by general engine type is a great way to organize these awesome little vehicles.

That's the idea here!

Well... with the New Turbo-Diesel Boxer, which Name is: "EE" ... the 2.0L is the EE20, has 147HP and 258 lb-ft of torque, Just 3 main bearings and was released in Europe in 2008. It is scheduled to be released in North America in 2010...

Subaru Replaced the EJ15, their 1.5L Engine (Just for the Non-USA Markets) in the impreza, with the new "EL" Engine, the EL15 is Based on the Crankshaft of the EJ25 and has Variable Timing!

and the New Generation of Boxer Engines is Named the "FB" Engines, the FB20 should come as the new 2.0L Engine and the FB25 would be the New 2.5L Engine.

More info here.

Kind Regards.

#28 LeoneTurbo

LeoneTurbo

EJ engine expert

• Gold Subscribers
  • 339 posts
  • Arnhem (The Netherlands)

Posted 26 October 2010 - 08:58 AM

The EE series also has five main bearings, I have the factory service manuals for that engine :)

#29 skishop69

skishop69

If it ain't broke, you're not trying.

• Members
  • 818 posts
  • Puyallup

Posted 26 October 2010 - 09:44 AM

EE20 + EA82MT = zzz:Flame::dead::banghead:

#30 Twitch de la Brat

Twitch de la Brat

Village Psycho

• Members
  • 1,519 posts
  • The Athol of Idaho

Posted 26 October 2010 - 10:52 AM

That's the idea here!

Well... with the New Turbo-Diesel Boxer, which Name is: "EE" ... the 2.0L is the EE20, has 147HP and 258 lb-ft of torque, Just 3 main bearings and was released in Europe in 2008. It is scheduled to be released in North America in 2010...

Subaru Replaced the EJ15, their 1.5L Engine (Just for the Non-USA Markets) in the impreza, with the new "EL" Engine, the EL15 is Based on the Crankshaft of the EJ25 and has Variable Timing!

and the New Generation of Boxer Engines is Named the "FB" Engines, the FB20 should come as the new 2.0L Engine and the FB25 would be the New 2.5L Engine.

More info here.

Kind Regards.

So long to the EJ engine.
Time for a new category (Shawn!). :-p
And that's cool, thanks for the info JesZek :)
I can't wait to see one of those EE20's in action, and I hope to get to test drive an OBS.
That would soooooo sweet if they put those in the smaller outbacks, it'd make them a lot more practical with the awesome fuel mileage and that torque would make trails a cakewalk :)

Twitch

#31 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Gold Subscribers
  • 5,385 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 27 October 2010 - 12:35 PM

The EE series also has five main bearings, I have the factory service manuals for that engine :)

Well... that Wikipedia site Must be Wrong:

"Subaru EE engine (diesel)
Subaru unveiled the world's first boxer diesel engine to be fitted in a passenger car at the Geneva autoshow in 2007. This 2.0L DOHC engine, called the EE20[2], has 147HP and 258 lb-ft of torque, 3- main bearings and was released in Europe in 2008. It is scheduled to be released in North America in 2010.[3]"

http://en.wikipedia....ne_.28diesel.29

Here in the USMB was a Member who would Loved that 3 Main Bearings Subject ... :) ...

#32 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Gold Subscribers
  • 5,385 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 27 October 2010 - 12:56 PM

So long to the EJ engine.
Time for a new category (Shawn!). :-p
And that's cool, thanks for the info JesZek :) ...

You're Welcome! :D

I Believe that the EJ Series would be Keepen Alive for more Years to Come...

Posted Image

Subaru Develop Certain EJ Engines with Cosworth:

http://www.speedalli...productid=21377

the New Generation of Engines are Nice Lookin' :

Posted Image

But the Newer Gasoline Boxer Engines are Named the FB Series... The New Engine, according to Automotive News, will range from 2.0 to 2.5 liters and will, in Some Variations, get Both Direct injection and a Start-Stop system—as well, of Course, as TurboCharging in sportier models like the Impreza WRX and STI.

It's likely that the Naturally Aspirated Versions would be Considerably More Powerful than the Current EJ Lineup.

And according to Subaru, it gets a Lower-Maintenance Timing Chain System, instead of Timing Belts... :banana: ...Now that's a Huge Advantage in my Own Opinion.

More info Here.

Kind Regards.

#33 Twitch de la Brat

Twitch de la Brat

Village Psycho

• Members
  • 1,519 posts
  • The Athol of Idaho

Posted 27 October 2010 - 06:53 PM

Thanks for the info mining there JesZek :)
Lets just hope FB doesn't mean Fubar'd.

And it'll be nice to see the iteration of Subaru tech.
I hope they stay true to the Flat Four and don't start building (heaven forbid) inline engines for the US market *shudders*

Twitch

#34 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

Safariwagon: The Legend

• Members
  • 6,588 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:35 PM

I dunno..... These new engines are looking like its gonna be a PITA to fix unless you have a BHF :lol:

Don't matter, by 2018 the U.S is going to push the emissions hard. They are gonna ban an older vehicles off the streets and give people some credits on buying a vehicle made within the past year or two. Our beloved Subarus will be gone. But I do find it hard that anyone in the U.S will go for this, what about classic car buffs and such? They are not gonna give up or alter their classic machines to meet Emissions requirements.

It was yesterdays paper in the paper. I think its totally dumb. :-\

#35 1982gl4

1982gl4

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,331 posts
  • Worcester, VT

Posted 28 October 2010 - 07:00 PM

Don't matter, by 2018 the U.S is going to push the emissions hard. They are gonna ban an older vehicles off the streets and give people some credits on buying a vehicle made within the past year or two. Our beloved Subarus will be gone. But I do find it hard that anyone in the U.S will go for this, what about classic car buffs and such? They are not gonna give up or alter their classic machines to meet Emissions requirements.

I agree, I would never give up my classics for a new car. Heck I don't like 99% of the new cars out there, and the ones I do like I couldn't afford even with a discount. Plus nothing is as reliable as a 1982 ea81 wagon :grin:

#36 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Gold Subscribers
  • 5,385 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 29 October 2010 - 10:41 AM

... Our beloved Subarus will be gone...

To the Latin American Markets for Sure... Along Other car Brands...

... I think its totally dumb. :-\

I Agree, Specially for Classic Cars...

I agree, I would never give up my classics for a new car. Heck I don't like 99% of the new cars out there, and the ones I do like I couldn't afford even with a discount. Plus nothing is as reliable as a 1982 ea81 wagon :grin:

True... The Only Emissions free Vehicle I Like is the Tesla Roadster...

But Maybe Someone Start Selling an "Electric Conversion Kit" for Older Vehicles...
There are Many Homebrew Already...

#37 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

Safariwagon: The Legend

• Members
  • 6,588 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 29 October 2010 - 10:56 AM

But I wouldn't want to convert my EA82 to electric - I like the sound of a good old Boxer. And I think that would take away from driving a Subaru.

We will see, I don't think this is going to fly with to many car enthusiasts.

#38 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Gold Subscribers
  • 5,385 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 01 November 2010 - 11:53 AM

I Agree...

...I like the sound of a good old Boxer...

...Absolutely!

#39 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Gold Subscribers
  • 5,385 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 01 November 2010 - 01:37 PM

The New Subaru Justy (a.k.a: Daihatsu Sirion) is offered in our Latin American Markets with the Factory LPG / Gasoline Bi-Fuel System...

Posted Image

#40 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Gold Subscribers
  • 5,385 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 01 November 2010 - 01:51 PM

http://www.motorward...justy-lpg-fuel/

#41 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Gold Subscribers
  • 5,385 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 09 July 2011 - 02:11 PM

Seems like Subaru's Lineup is about to Change!

I Really Like the Idea of a RWD Boxer impreza:

Posted Image

it is Part of the Subaru's "MOTION-V" Five Year Plan to Complete Renew the Brand with Brand New Models...

More information Here:

http://www.autoblog....models-by-2016/

And Here:

Subaru’s Motion-V Five-Year Plan Includes Three New Models, a Hybrid, and More Toyota Cooperation

Kind Regards.

#42 Twitch de la Brat

Twitch de la Brat

Village Psycho

• Members
  • 1,519 posts
  • The Athol of Idaho

Posted 09 July 2011 - 02:24 PM

I don't like this...
They're getting too big for their britches and they're going to piss off a lot of loyal customers with some of these moves.
I forsee the Toyota collaberation turning into a takeover.
And to see such an amazing brand get swallowed by Yota would be a very dark day.
I hope it doesn't come to this, but the buddy-buddy I see between Subaru and Toyota will not come to a good end for Subaru.
Esp since Toyota's rep is starting to toilet bowl.

Twitch

#43 ihscout54

ihscout54

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 476 posts
  • Prescott, AZ

Posted 09 July 2011 - 04:47 PM

A five year plan huh? Is Stalin taking over operations at the Fuji plant?

#44 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,504 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 09 July 2011 - 05:20 PM

I don't know about "historic" per se. Or even "classic".

But my 83 GL wagon is now considered "antique" :lol:

"The Antique Automobile Club of America defines an antique car as 25 years old or older."

And most US states also go by that. So this means I can now get antique plates. :lol: :lol:

2 more years and the Justy can get historic plates, and he will. In NY you can put the plates from that year on the car OR get historic plates. I have my dads plates I will put on it.

#45 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Gold Subscribers
  • 5,385 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 06 September 2011 - 03:10 PM

Well... Subaru Officially Named its Brand New Rear Wheel Drive Coupe as:

Posted Image

More info, Here:
http://www.autoblog....omes-into-view/

Posted Image

#46 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Gold Subscribers
  • 5,385 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 06 September 2011 - 03:10 PM

The New Legacy-Based Impreza...

I Don't really Like it too Much, Because it looks Somehow like almost every other New Car...

Posted Image

...I Know that Mechanically is more Refined...

Posted Image

...But Still it and the New Legacy has some Design Fails...

Posted Image

...Like This:

Posted Image

I Really Dislike those Mini Glass Patches, 'cos I Consider 'em like Design Fails... I Really Like the Smooth Glass Area Design of the Older Generations...

Kind Regards.

#47 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Gold Subscribers
  • 5,385 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 25 September 2011 - 03:50 AM

About the Subaru / Toyota Coupe:

Car & Driver: ..."at the New York show we learned that the car would arrive in the U.S. as a Scion"...

Holy :eek: Cow !

http://www.caranddri...tos-future_cars

#48 moosens

moosens

Psychotic Subathusiast

• Members
  • 1,153 posts
  • Bridgeport CT

Posted 25 September 2011 - 08:48 AM

After 1980 it's just another Subaru. :grin:

You can look at is as all before a certain cut off are historic , i.e. the 20 year or 25 year criteria many states here have.

But to those of us involved for more that 35 years the historic tag seems more well placed on the cars that got Subaru going here in the US. Once the 80's came around SOA got rather viscious to its mom and pop dealers and the volume increased dramatcally. Then began the end of the "good old days" to many of us.

Might be able to talk me into EA81's , but no way EA82's and later.

#49 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,504 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 25 September 2011 - 06:54 PM

The New Legacy-Based Impreza...

I Don't really Like it too Much, Because it looks Somehow like almost every other New Car...

...I Know that Mechanically is more Refined...

Posted Image

...But Still it and the New Legacy has some Design Fails...

...Like This:

I Really Dislike those Mini Glass Patches, 'cos I Consider 'em like Design Fails... I Really Like the Smooth Glass Area Design of the Older Generations...

Kind Regards.

Those winodws arent a design fault but a technical need. They make a much better window track and seal due to the rake of the windsheild. Everyone is pulling out every stop in the book aerodynamically. Roof pillars are getting thicker and longer to meet the new roof load standards.

#50 bheinen74

bheinen74

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • central Iowa

Posted 25 September 2011 - 09:57 PM

NOt sure on the plastic intake runners either. Does everyone know what plastic does over time, be it plastic headlight lenses, plastic parts on a turbo engine, etc?

It gets like glass in about 10 years time. Guess they build it to throe away anymore after it his 10 years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users