Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Well, I've sure noticed a change at the local pick and pull. Used to be they'd have a half dozen of the eighties EA82 style cars at any time, now lucky to have one or two. Everything's now late 80's - early 90's. I guess it's time for me to 'upgrade' to that '96 2.2 outback now that used parts are cheap?
Good call. My little lady has that car w/ standard tranny. Solid beast it is.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... categorizing by general engine type is a great way to organize these awesome little vehicles.

That's the idea here!

Well, with the New Turbo-Diesel Boxer, whose Name is: "EE" ... the 2.0L is the EE20, has 147HP and 258 lb-ft of torque, was released in Europe in 2008. It is scheduled to be released in Latin America in 2010.

Subaru Replaced the EJ15, their 1.5L Engine (Just for the Non-USA Markets) in the impreza, with the new "EL" Engine, the EL15 is Based on the Crankshaft of the EJ25 and has Variable Timing!

And the New Generation of Boxer Engines is Named the "FB" (Like Facebook) Engines, the FB20 should come as the new 2.0L Engine, and the FB25 would be the New 2.5L Engine.

More info ~► Here.

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

That's the idea here!

Well... with the New Turbo-Diesel Boxer, which Name is: "EE" ... the 2.0L is the EE20, has 147HP and 258 lb-ft of torque, Just 3 main bearings and was released in Europe in 2008. It is scheduled to be released in North America in 2010...

Subaru Replaced the EJ15, their 1.5L Engine (Just for the Non-USA Markets) in the impreza, with the new "EL" Engine, the EL15 is Based on the Crankshaft of the EJ25 and has Variable Timing!

and the New Generation of Boxer Engines is Named the "FB" Engines, the FB20 should come as the new 2.0L Engine and the FB25 would be the New 2.5L Engine.

More info here.

Kind Regards.

So long to the EJ engine.

Time for a new category (Shawn!). :-p

And that's cool, thanks for the info JesZek :)

I can't wait to see one of those EE20's in action, and I hope to get to test drive an OBS.

That would soooooo sweet if they put those in the smaller outbacks, it'd make them a lot more practical with the awesome fuel mileage and that torque would make trails a cakewalk :)

Twitch

The EE series also has five main bearings, I have the factory service manuals for that engine :)

Well, that Wikipedia's article Must be Wrong:

"Subaru EE engine (diesel)"

Subaru unveiled the world's first boxer diesel engine to be fitted in a passenger car at the Geneva autoshow in 2007. This 2.0L DOHC engine, called the EE20[2], has 147HP and 258 lb-ft of torque, 3- main bearings and was released in Europe in 2008. It is scheduled to be released in North America in 2010."

~► http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Subaru_engines#Subaru_EE_engine_.28diesel.29

Not only for the "World's first Boxer Diesel" (there are more and much older) but also in the number of main bearings...

Kind Regards.

So long to the EJ engine.

Time for a new category (Shawn!). :-p

And that's cool, thanks for the info JesZek :) ...

You're Welcome! :D

I Believe that the EJ Series would be Keep Alive for more Years to Come...

TimingCam.jpg

Subaru Developed Certain EJ Engines with Cosworth:

~► http://www.speedalliance.com/catalog/Cosworth-High-Performance-Long-Block-Assemblies.html

the New Generation of Engines are Nice Lookin' :

NewSubaruMotor2011.jpg

But the Newer Gasoline Boxer Engines are Named the FB Series... The New Engine, according to Automotive News, will range from 2.0 to 2.5 liters and will, in Some Variations, get Both Direct injection and a Start-Stop system—as well, of Course, as TurboCharging in sportier models like the Impreza WRX and STI. It's likely that the Naturally Aspirated Versions would be Considerably More Powerful than the Current EJ Lineup.

And according to Subaru, it gets a Lower-Maintenance Timing Chain System, instead of Timing Belts... :banana: ...Now that's a Huge Advantage in my Own  Opinion. More info ~► Here

Kind Regards.

I dunno..... These new engines are looking like its gonna be a PITA to fix unless you have a BHF :lol:

Don't matter, by 2018 the U.S is going to push the emissions hard. They are gonna ban an older vehicles off the streets and give people some credits on buying a vehicle made within the past year or two. Our beloved Subarus will be gone. But I do find it hard that anyone in the U.S will go for this, what about classic car buffs and such? They are not gonna give up or alter their classic machines to meet Emissions requirements.

It was yesterdays paper in the paper. I think its totally dumb. :-\

Don't matter, by 2018 the U.S is going to push the emissions hard. They are gonna ban an older vehicles off the streets and give people some credits on buying a vehicle made within the past year or two. Our beloved Subarus will be gone. But I do find it hard that anyone in the U.S will go for this, what about classic car buffs and such? They are not gonna give up or alter their classic machines to meet Emissions requirements.

I agree, I would never give up my classics for a new car. Heck I don't like 99% of the new cars out there, and the ones I do like I couldn't afford even with a discount. Plus nothing is as reliable as a 1982 ea81 wagon :grin:

... Our beloved Subarus will be gone...

To the Latin American Markets for Sure... Along Other car Brands.

... I think its totally dumb.  :wacko: 

I Agree, Specially for Classic Cars...

I agree, I would never give up my classics for a new car. Heck I don't like 99% of the new cars out there, and the ones I do like I couldn't afford even with a discount. Plus nothing is as reliable as a 1982 ea81 wagon :grin:

True, the Only Emissions free Vehicle I Like is the Tesla Roadster.

But Maybe Someone Start Selling successfully, an "Electric Conversion Kit" for Older Vehicles... 

...Lets just hope FB doesn't mean Fubar'd...

Or FaceBook ... :o ...

Kind Regards.

• 8 months later...

Seems like Subaru's Lineup is about to Change!

I Really Like the Idea of a RWD Boxer impreza:

RWDBoxerImpreza.jpg?t=1310147506

it is Part of the Subaru's "MOTION-V" Five Year Plan to Complete Renew the Brand with Brand New Models...

I don't like this...

They're getting too big for their britches and they're going to piss off a lot of loyal customers with some of these moves.

I forsee the Toyota collaberation turning into a takeover.

And to see such an amazing brand get swallowed by Yota would be a very dark day.

I hope it doesn't come to this, but the buddy-buddy I see between Subaru and Toyota will not come to a good end for Subaru.

Esp since Toyota's rep is starting to toilet bowl.

Twitch

I don't know about "historic" per se. Or even "classic".

But my 83 GL wagon is now considered "antique" :lol:

"The Antique Automobile Club of America defines an antique car as 25 years old or older."

And most US states also go by that. So this means I can now get antique plates. :lol: :lol:

2 more years and the Justy can get historic plates, and he will. In NY you can put the plates from that year on the car OR get historic plates. I have my dads plates I will put on it.

• 1 month later...

The New Legacy-Based Impreza...

I Don't really Like it too Much, Because it looks Somehow like almost every other New Car...

2012-subaru-impreza-wagon.jpg

...I Know that Mechanically is more Refined...

lead4-2012-subaru-impreza-sedan.jpg

...But Still it and the New Legacy has some Design Fails...

lead12-2012-subaru-impreza-sedan.jpg

...Like This:

lead12-2012-subaru-impreza-sedanb.jpg

I Really Dislike those Mini Glass Patches, 'cos I Consider 'em like Design Fails... I Really Like the Smooth Glass Area Design of the Older Generations...

Kind Regards.

• 3 weeks later...

After 1980 it's just another Subaru. :grin:

You can look at is as all before a certain cut off are historic , i.e. the 20 year or 25 year criteria many states here have.

But to those of us involved for more that 35 years the historic tag seems more well placed on the cars that got Subaru going here in the US. Once the 80's came around SOA got rather viscious to its mom and pop dealers and the volume increased dramatcally. Then began the end of the "good old days" to many of us.

Might be able to talk me into EA81's , but no way EA82's and later.

The New Legacy-Based Impreza...

I Don't really Like it too Much, Because it looks Somehow like almost every other New Car...

...I Know that Mechanically is more Refined...

lead4-2012-subaru-impreza-sedan.jpg

...But Still it and the New Legacy has some Design Fails...

...Like This:

I Really Dislike those Mini Glass Patches, 'cos I Consider 'em like Design Fails... I Really Like the Smooth Glass Area Design of the Older Generations...

Kind Regards.

Those winodws arent a design fault but a technical need. They make a much better window track and seal due to the rake of the windsheild. Everyone is pulling out every stop in the book aerodynamically. Roof pillars are getting thicker and longer to meet the new roof load standards.