Ultimate Subaru Message Board

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those winodws arent a design fault but a technical need. They make a much better window track and seal due to the rake of the windsheild. Everyone is pulling out every stop in the book aerodynamically. Roof pillars are getting thicker and longer to meet the new roof load standards.

Subaru also 'pushed' the passenger space forward for the new Impreza while keeping the same overall wheelbase to increase passenger room in the cabin (They want to sell as many as they can in the US - And you guys seem to like them BIG!). This would be another reason for that extra door window.

Yeah in Oregon it's still 1975 or newer still gets tested. (I was hoping my GL was exempt)

When I had my old Volvo it was 25 years but they must have changed it or something. :-\

so that means my 81 brat would have to get tested to see if itll pass..crap the cat converter is shot in it among many other things that would make it run clean...

About the Boxer Diesel engine Performance, The Subaru XV Diesel came to Latin America since 2010, but it wasn't Lifted Yet:

http://www.subaruxv.cl/

The Lifted one (New Version), will come in January 2012:

http://www.autocity.com/novedades/subaru/xv/15-09-2011/index_novedad.html?cod=8985

I Believe one of the Reasons for the Delay of introducing the Boxer Diesel to the U.S.A. is the Many problems that Diesel engine has given, Many Premature Fails, as you can Read in this Forums:

http://www.autocity.com/foros_coches_motos/verRespuestasMensaje.html?cod=201606&padre=201606&foro=386&offset=0&numero=20&marca=&categoria=&nombreForo=&offsetF=&orden

Let me Translate a Couple of Posts from that Spanish Forums (using google online translator):

I have a problem with a Subaru Legacy Boxer Diesel, has 15 months with an engine failure at low and they could not find the solution, and they are laughing at me every time...

...suffered a major breakdown. A bushing defective crankshaft broke up, after 2800 km, I demanded a new engine of course. The customer responsible Subaru Spain convince me, lies in between, that is sufficient to change the block, to accept, he offered two years additional warranty.

Three days after picking up the vehicle and cataclonch!. A violent stop. Went the official service crane again, two long weeks without knowing anything and then a phone call to say that this time I am not covered under warranty, this new damage, without further explanation.

Seems like the Problems they have are related to the Diesel engine Only...

I Hope that Subaru will Refine it more soon.

Kind Regards.

They are reliable, frugal and fun to drive.

There have been some issues with a leaking sealant nozzle at the factory (which also affected USDM EJ257 engines) causing premature bearing failure - which are all covered under warranty.

The first cars are reaching 75k-100k miles now and do just fine.

GREAT ENGINE!

I don't know about "historic" per se. Or even "classic".

But my 83 GL wagon is now considered "antique" :lol:

"The Antique Automobile Club of America defines an antique car as 25 years old or older."

And most US states also go by that. So this means I can now get antique plates. :lol: :lol:

Check with your DMV before getting antique plates. In PA, a vehicle with antique plates has strict usage guidelines. Can only be driven on Sundays or to car shows. Can not be driven after dark. Etc. The police here will pull you over if they see you driving a car with antique plates regularly, like to work every day. It also has an impact on your insurance coverage and the miles you are allowed to put on it.

I have a couple of antique vehicles (60's) and I dont even bother to put antique plates on them because the hassles greatly outweigh the benefits (No annual inspection or registration).

In New York you can get a pair of plates from the year of the car with the car being historic. If the car gets historical plates (plates that state they are a historic registration) you are qualified for historic insurance. Depending upon the insurance policy there are limits on how much you can drive.

IE - a 1965 car can have historic plates with historic insurance and have usage limits.

- The 1965 car can have plates from 1965 and be a daily driver with regular insurance.

Check each state for the laws.

• 1 month later...

Reading on the Web site: "The Truth About Cars" I Found an interesting interview with The Chief engineer in charge of the New Subaru / Toyota Sports Coupe. Complete Story & Pics could be found following the Link Below:

"The Truth About The FT-86. Straight From The Mouth Of The Chief Engineer"

"...In the maniac, well, enthusiast scene, it is pretty much gospel that the cars use Subaru’s flat four “D4-S” boxer engine. Depending on whom you believe, the production engine ranges from a tried & true to a refined & modified D4-S. That elicits protests from Tada, as loud as the softspoken man can manage:

“No,no, no – it is a completely new engine. The engine is still a boxer. The technology, even the engine block are completely new. Everything is new. The only thing that remained are the mounting points...”

So, Subaru beside the Developing of the New FB Engines, is Developing a Complete New Engine, The D4-S

I hope Toyota didn't have much to do with the engineering. The wifes 2008 Scion XD is going to get a new water pump this weekend one way or another. It has 61000 and a bit miles and the pump is shot. Scion says to bad, give us $1000.00 and we will put in a new one. The book says you have to pull the motor and trans to replace the %#*&%) thing. Guess I will find out. The Aisin replacement pump was $63.00 at Bap Geon. Toyota's last offer was they buy the pump at $127.00 and I pay the rest.

I dunno..... These new engines are looking like its gonna be a PITA to fix unless you have a BHF :lol:

Don't matter, by 2018 the U.S is going to push the emissions hard. They are gonna ban an older vehicles off the streets and give people some credits on buying a vehicle made within the past year or two. Our beloved Subarus will be gone. But I do find it hard that anyone in the U.S will go for this, what about classic car buffs and such? They are not gonna give up or alter their classic machines to meet Emissions requirements.

It was yesterdays paper in the paper. I think its totally dumb. :-\

i know its kinda old but i have an opinion on the emissions and banning of old cars

all i have to say is have you heard of sema? the nhra? groups like this will never allow that to happen besides the government cant just force people to get rid of there cars

• 3 weeks later...

B is for Boxer, R is for Rear-wheel drive, Z is for Zenith, as in the best...

The Subaru BRZ has a New Engine, The engine is an all-new design called the FA, with a perfectly square stroke of 86x86 and a variable-valve control system that Subaru calls AVCS, for active valve control system. The FA was developed for and only used in this car, "at least for the time being." On the required premium gas, Subaru's numbers are 200 horsepower and 150 pound-feet, with reps at a loss to explain why Toyota rates the same engine – that Subaru builds – at 197 horsepower. The FA is smaller than the Impreza's FB engine, achieved with items such as a shorter and lower intake manifold.

More can be Read here.

Kind Regards.

Alright i know this is off topic but i need help my 81 brat barely made it home it was coughing and sputtering and idling extremly rough i had to restart it twice on the 15 minute ride home and keep it above 1500rpms to keep it running..it has a weber carb with 26 and 27 mm barrels

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...