Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Attn: CamoMan Choppin '79s

Chopping the fenders on '79 is nice pain in the butt. The front ones weren't that bad, except make sure that they are tight on the bottom mine were rusted and the whole fender moved just as fast as the sawsall blade did. In the rear they are way harder.

I cut mine right a long that little "finder flare thing" once you get through the first layer you have to cut through the inner fender. we just took and hit it all down with a hammer then cut it again.

We ended up experimenting on the other side and we cut straight out from the tire and then folded it in. That worked way better. I didn't really put over sized wheels on it. I just had the same kind of wheels as, I think it's, mcbrats '78 brat. Those wheels you can run backwords (so more tire sticks out kinda like daytons on low riders). Then I had to smash the front fenders in so I could turn the tires all the way. I'll get some pics of it and show ya what "ulgy" means, dents, dirt, oil, grease, and paint.

It's pretty bad off. Do you plan on putting 14" wheels and all that jazz on?

Jeff

Hey dude! Just got back on and saw your post, thanks for responding. Yeah, I've found Isuzu 15" and Mazda 14" rims I think might fit when I mod my hubs, but I'm not sure about tire size. I'll prob go with 14" because I like fat tires. I thought about either cutting along the flare line or attatching some toyo(or whoever)black plastic flares and cutting along their line. Have you ever used a neumatic sheet metal cutter? I cut up an old Pinto about 15 years ago with one and it's really smooth, air driven.

I came accross an electric one a while back for free so thats what I plan on using. I don't really care if it's jack legged as long as it doesn't look like it is! My fenders are solid so it should be ok. I just was wondering what would really fit under there and if it's worth it. I really wan't to go for the short fat look since I'm not really off roading it. Just dirt roads and mud puddles. Let me know what you think! Thanx

Camoman