Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ebrake shoe source for 97 OBW

I've searched here for e-brake shoe, ebrake shoe, ebrake shoes, etc.

I seem to need a set of these per year. The dealer has a kit that retails for 70 bucks. Seems like there has to be a better way. They are just tiny shoes. In the past I have needed them for friends vehicles and was able to JB weld the material to the backing, put 2 large hose clamps on it overnight.

But I'll be selling this car. If I were ever gonna use used brake shoes this would be the time since the rotors are new. But I never save them when I part a car (although I expect to evaluate this in the future if I have reason to think they are newish).

I even have a car on the trailer that might have these parts but this would be a pain to get the parts off - especially in this weather.

Anyone have a decent source for these?

I may go looking for one of the re-lining places that do some antiques. The media is thin but perhaps that's an option. I'll have to see what they may be able to do and price them. I could then have a set already done and on the shelf.

Dave

Well you said your going to be selling the car?...if thats the case or even if its not...i would try NAPA.....ive gotten tons of parts off of them for my Legacy and only once have they steered me wrong... was when i got the wrong radiator....other than that..great prices...at least at the one i go to..... here are the ones for my 96...so i know they have them..but i dont need them though..lol.... http://www.napaonline.com/masterpages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=470&LineCode=UP&PartNumber=AE10794PB&Description=Emergency+%22Parking%22+Brake+Shoes

Edited by EVOthis

Thanks for the info.

When I was looking yesterday the Napa's in the town I was in were closed.

The NAPA in the town I'm in today has them in stock.

FYI Advance, Autozone, and 3 regional/home town parts stores didn't have a listing. Like I said I was unable to check NAPA and don't have one close to home anymore.

But I"m going to NAPA today!! Half price compared to the dealer.

Thanks,

Dave

Is your Legacy 15" wheels?

On the NAPA site I can't seem to stipulate Outback. Those parking brake shoes (the only ones listed) are shown for the 2.2 which might be 14".

Probably all the same but thought I'd ask. They all seem to be the same on regular Legacy, Outbacks, and GT's (14", 15", 16") but I've never actually tried to interchange them. When I've been doing rotors they have just looked the same.

Dave

An update for future searchers.

These Parking brake shoes, ebrake shoes seem to work on the 15" wheels on the Outback. FYI there is still a core charge on these - something you don't see much anymore.

It would make sense that they would fit 14,15, and 16" since they are so close to the hub and they all seem to be the same diameter, same Ebrake cables, etc.

USMB just saved me half the cost of the parts. I just sent in this years donation. Looks like I'm working on another one already.

Thanks again EVOthis.

Dave