Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The $1 '78 Subaru Wagon

Found it local - 78 2WD Automatic DL - with A/C even! Guy said it didn't run - so I drove it home :D

Clean title - good tags - new battery - tires have 5k on em, with Les Shcwabb papers in the glove box....

Had to jam a rock in the choke - I think the electric choke is not working. After that it idled - like a 3 legged dog - but it does idle. With the autmatic it feels like it has about 2 HP - but climbs right up to 80 (maybe further - I didn't want to try...) on the freeway...

http://usmb.net/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=album143

GD

A BUCK AND YOU DROVE IT HOME!!?? YOU SUCK!!

Hehe, jes kidding, good score. Seems like all the free cars are coming out of the woodwork here, but they don't run. Guess my next one I need to pull out a dollar, that will be the diving line between running and not! Now remember, don't have too much fun in that 10hp beast!

Originally posted by GeneralDisorder

Found it local - 78 2WD Automatic DL - with A/C even! Guy said it didn't run - so I drove it home :D

GD

lol, that is a score. i picked up a toyota truck like that once. it ran like a champ on the 200mi trip home... untill the head gasket blew. it just wasnt meant to be i guess.

Your in the right place at the right time!

Put it to good use!

Best I ever did was a "Mini" (Austin American) for $50. Ran great but just would NOT stop. Wish I still had that!:mad:

Glenn,

82 Hatch, on hold till it warms up a bit...

01 Forester, likes the cold.......

Yeah - nothing is set absolutely just yet - I think it's gonna get parted or driven one way or another. Seems everyone wants a peice of it. Caboobaroo want's to convert it to 4WD, and what not - if that's even possible..... I would love to see you get the tranny from this one Todd - works great the little bit I drove it, and the guy drove it up from Medford (300 miles maybe?) about 3 months back.... and this one has A/C - so I know your probably gonna want that stuff too....

The engine in it I'm definately keeping - since it's a runner, and EA71's are getting hard to find. I'll need it for my Brat, and possibly I'll use it's pistons and what not for a built EA81 at some later date....

If it can't be converted to 4WD, then likely body panels and such will be up for grabs - glass, etc... I mostly want the engine, front interior, fenders, bumpers if I can make em work, suspension (probably just the front assuming it will work on the Brat), and a lot of the wiring. Hard to tell what may be for sale soon.....

I do think it very likely that you could get the auto trans from it Todd - I know you probably want it as a backup, and Mick said you might be interested. That and the A/C is yours for shipping and a little something to cover my labor to remove, and ship, etc... PM me if your interested.

GD

Hmm:

Well I might be interested in the trans. I'm holding out for a transmission that Paul has. I have the car ready for it as soon as it arrives. (Been so cold up his way!)

How many miles on the car? I'll be using Pauls soon, but a good spare would be nice.

Is the AC the Sanden compressor or the York?

What condition is the muffler/tailpipe? (From aft of the center premuffler?) It should be one piece from there to the end. Original Subaru?

What condition is the right rear door?

I need the black metal trim piece that fit's between the rear bumper and thecar body. What condition is it in?

I could use the roof rack.

What condition is the rear bumper....just the steel part.

Thanks for thinking of me!!!

Todd

well the story is like this. I talked to GD last night on the phone about it. I also have my 79 wagon I got about 6 months ago BUT there is no title even though I have all the paperwork to get one, its just too muich work for me to do right now. So if I can convert it to 4wd, then I will be parting out my 79 DL wagon. I won't need the engine, trans, interior except for the carpet, and I can use and part out the body panels from my wagon on it seeing its the same color.

Oh and BTW, I talked to Brian (Junkie) last night and he said that converting it to 4wd is just swapping everything over like an EA81....I hope he's right:rolleyes:

Well - I took a look under there - doesn't look good for a 4WD swap. There's major frame components in the way of where the driveshaft would have to go. The unibody goes across from one rear wheel, to the other rear wheel. I don't see how you could fit a driveline in there - doesn't look to be anything in the way of mounting points for a rear end of any kind - gas tank is in the way too.... the floor of the car where the shifter is doesn't look big enough to accomidate a 4WD trans either... hard to tell tho.

Believe me - even EA81's aren't bolt up (of all people - I should know - I've done it!) - and this being even older I tend to doubt it would "just bolt in". Moosens has also said in another thread recently that the unibody is different for Gen 1 2WD vs 4WD - my inspection seems to point to this conclusion as well.

The car has 89K on it I think. Could be 189k of course, but I tend to doubt it looking at the condition of the car overall. It's really not bad - just abused a bit because it's so old, and dirty from sitting on a farm not being driven. Like I said - the trans seems to work fine, and seems reliable even. I would think that if it made a 300 mile trip to Portland from Medford that it would last a while longer.

I can't tell on the A/C compressor - can you tell me what to look for? - there's a sticker on the side, but it's mostly gone - just the corners are left. I think I can make out "tokyo" but that's about it...

The muffler looks good from a cursory inspection - won't know for sure till I get it out of the car. There is an exhaust leak, but it sounds like it's near the engine compartment... looks original Subaru to me....

right rear door is good I think.

metal trim peice on the bumper - I don' think it has one... there's a black rubber strip there. About 2-3" wide... The front bumper has one - the rear just has that rubber - doesn't look like it had anything metal there - but I have no clue.

roof rack is starting to rust.... but it's saveable if you desired to do it.

There's no rust anywhere but on the roof rack, and some little amount of surface rust in other places...

Does anyone know if the windsheild from this will fit a Gen 1 Brat?

GD

Hey there:

Yes..it would be a job to convert to 4WD! Also the pedal mount is not reinforced for a clutch, so that needs to be swapped from a manual Gen 1 too. Capture nuts are not present in the frame for certain parts either. The 2WD standard would be a bit easier to convert.

The back bumper trim is rubber and metal. The metal is under the rubber.

Hows the antenna?

The could use the right rear back door shell. Don't need glass. Shell would be light and easier to pack. Any rust inside the dooe or damage.

The rack can be restored.

The york compresor is "square" The sanden is round.

The transmission is sounding very interesting as a future backup to Pauls.

Yes, the glass will fit a Gen 1 BRAT. The only Gen 1 family of glass that does not interchange is the hardtop GF. It is slightly different.

Get NEW rubber for your glass before you install. You can't usually save old seals. Check PRP.com

Todd

We should exchange phone #s