Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea82 cylinder head

yours might still be good? if you see a crack between the valves seats, that's not a call to get a new head. that's common, more often than not all EA82's and ER27's have those cracks between the valves.

more info on the forum here if that's the case for you.

good luck.

if that's all that's wrong with them, then they are fine to use. just have a machine shop pressure test them to be sure. (all machine shops do that if you're not familiar with it).

don't let them tell you "this head is scrap".....if they're not familiar with these subaru heads they probably won't know any better. the shop i deal with freaks out when i bring them in to get milled. i just ignore them.

it's no surprise these things are old and outta the minds of most folks by now.

+1 on having them pressure checked... you never do know...

I had 2 SPFI engines like this, both ran perfectly after assembled. The MPFI cyl heads do the same thing.

I never used a machine shop... We always used to block the heads and sand them with a flatboard using 120 then 200 grit sandpaper. Never had a single problem, and I still know some of my customers that I did the engines 5, 6 years ago...

yeah i deal with local machine shop everyday, its nice i can get quite a discount. Subarus are kinda a new thing to me ive only built 4 ea82s and 2ea81 turbos, its just that most customers don't want cracked heads no matter what i said about they will be fine they want not cracked ones the i explain the price of having them welded and they ************ there pants lol its a loose, loose situation

Subaru themselves actually released a TSB.. Technical Service Bulletin.. relating to this precise problem. Subaru states that so long as the cracks are limited to the area between the valves (web material) and do not show evidence of coolant leakage indicated by white buildup or abnormally clean areas around said cracks, that the heads are in perfectly functional shape and should not be replaced...