Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Designing the tubing on my MJ

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 87jewbaru

87jewbaru

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Vancouver

Posted 28 January 2009 - 03:07 AM

This is what i am working with. A 1990 Jeep Comanche, Never mind the rear bumper, I broke it so i am going to remove it.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

This is the basic idea of my build. Diagram A is the part that goes right behind the cab, I am going to run it a little above the cab so that I can add a front exo later. Am I going to need to reinforce the frame where it mounts? If so what are your suggestions?

Diagram B is from the back. The blue is the frame. The red is where it mounts to the frame. What do you guys think, Any suggestions?

Posted Image

Next question I started building myself a bumper before I wrecked my truck, the bumper is the width of the bed made out of 3/16 wall 2x5. Should I use it as a base in the back? like diagram B, or should I build something new that is narrower? Mind you that I am going to full widths. I am going to add fenders later so that it is streetable.

Posted Image

#2 rtcaravan

rtcaravan

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • miff. pa

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:23 PM

plans are not to bad. i wouldn't mount it to the bumper. run a brace at the end of the frame rails (2x4 box side to side) above your shackles. this will strenthin the frame and give you a great place to weld your roll bar. if your going to put the bed sides on make it narrower so they fit like factory. are you building it for off-road use? if your counting on your roll bar to save the body if rolled over i would add more bracing. keep it as safe as possible.

#3 frogstar7055

frogstar7055

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 159 posts
  • Jacksonville Fl

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:39 PM

Behind the cab I would mount it to the top of the frame instead of the sides.

#4 rtcaravan

rtcaravan

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • miff. pa

Posted 27 March 2009 - 04:15 PM

yes, weld everything on top of the frame it will be much stronger. i didn't see the side mounting on the drawings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users