Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Boxer Diesel Transplant? Engine Dimensions?

DPDISXR4Ti

It's admitedly a little early to realistically discuss putting the new Boxer TD engine in something "non-native" - heck, it's not even available here in the States yet.:rolleyes:

Nonetheless, does anyone have any dimensional data on this oil burner, primarily the width? Everything I've read indicates that it was engineered to be the same size as the gasoline engine (despite the longer stroke), but I don't find the actual dimensions anywhere. Weight would be interesting to see too, as that was another area that tried to trim the fat.

BTW, Subaru has a pretty good site dedicated to this engine:

http://www.boxerdiesel.com/engineering/en/index.html

Our going to need the transmission too. the CI (compression ignition) engine puts out a lot of torque at lower rpms, and the tranny is geard for that. A SI (spark Ignition) engine's transmission mated up to DI engine will make it a dog.

nipper

It's admitedly a little early to realistically discuss putting the new Boxer TD engine in something "non-native" - heck, it's not even available here in the States yet.:rolleyes:

Nonetheless, does anyone have any dimensional data on this oil burner, primarily the width? Everything I've read indicates that it was engineered to be the same size as the gasoline engine (despite the longer stroke), but I don't find the actual dimensions anywhere. Weight would be interesting to see too, as that was another area that tried to trim the fat.

BTW, Subaru has a pretty good site dedicated to this engine:

http://www.boxerdiesel.com/engineering/en/index.html

if you were to READ page 2 you would discover the answer

bore x stroke 86 x 86 mm

The BOXER DIESEL is almost as wide as an equivalent gasoline boxer engine, despite its elongated stroke, which is 19 mm longer than that in the gasoline boxer. Its length is 61.3 mm less. Its compactness is revolutionary. One can easily observe it inside the engine compartment of the Legacy mode

the BOXER DIESEL gave outstanding powerful performance in the high-speed ranges, between 2500 rpm and 4000 rpm, which no other conventional diesel engine had demonstrated.

Legacy test vehicles were sent to Europe for evaluation, going through stringent tests in the high temperatures and high altitudes around Granada, Spain, as well as assessments for cold weather driving in Scandinavia and areas close to the North Pole. Each of 10 Legacy vehicles ran 100,000 km—a total of more than one million kilometers under a diverse set of conditions.

On the characteristics of the BOXER DIESEL, Maeda adds, “Without balancer shafts, the BOXER DIESEL provides the driver with a direct feel for surging engine rotations. When stepping on the accelerator, the driver feels quick engine response that no other diesel engine can offer. For example, the engine reacts superbly in acceleration from 80 km/hr to 120 km/hr on highways.”

Thanks to a bore pitch shortened from 113mm to 98.4mm, the overall engine block length is only 353.5mm compared to the petrol's already compact 414.8mm. carpages uk

Special, short-length solenoid injectors ensure the engine’s width is no greater than that of the 2.0 litre ‘boxer’ petrol unit, despite the diesel’s longer piston stroke.

good info including gear ratios http://www.automobilesreview.com/reviews/classleading-features-boxer-diesel-forester/4511/

Another interesting point to add, that no one has discussed yet.

Heat.

There is a good discussion on the outback board from some scandanavians on how the cassenger compartment heat works. i hate to admit that i did not follwo it, but in the pieces i saw, it seems they use a heat pump (AC in reverse) and some other tricks to get enough heat in the passenger compartment.

Diesels do not have a lot of waste heat, which is why they are so effecient. In Gas engines waste heat is managed by the cooling system (not including exhaust gasses).

So this is not going to be a straight bolt in by any stretch of the imagination.

But it is fun to talk about.

nipper

So this is not going to be a straight bolt in by any stretch of the imagination.

I wasn't figuring to put it in a Subaru engine bay any way, so plug-n-play was never a consideration.

What I'm hoping is that this engine finds it way into use for some industrial applications, where the emissions restrictions won't saddle it with a bunch of extra catalysts and overall complexity.

I wasn't figuring to put it in a Subaru engine bay any way, so plug-n-play was never a consideration.

What I'm hoping is that this engine finds it way into use for some industrial applications, where the emissions restrictions won't saddle it with a bunch of extra catalysts and overall complexity.

'05 was a big year for emissions changes

http://www1.eere.energy.gov/vehiclesandfuels/resources/proceedings/2005_deer_presentations.html

autos are generally behind the times when it comes to emissions

euro 5 is the future standard, and subaru is only at euro 4

http://www.euractiv.com/en/transport/euro-5-emissions-standards-cars/article-133325

Euro 5 standards for cars will further restrict emissions, from both petrol and diesel cars, of carbon monoxide (CO), hydrocarbons (HC), oxides of nitrogen (NOx) and particulate matters (PM), which are considered harmful to human health. The tighter standards will apply as of September 2009 for new models of cars and in January 2011 for all new cars.

The new Directive will also close the current loop-holes, under the Euro 4 Directive, for heavy sports utility vehicles (SUVs) and four-wheel drives above 2,500 kg.

my '85 vw jetta 1.6 diesel has a HOT heater, even when terribly cold

interesting to find out what subaru is trying to do for heat

heat in a subaru, what's that?? :confused::rolleyes: