Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil leak on passenger side valve cover

Hey guys. Well found a issue with the 94 SS which is probably the reason why the guy wanted to sell it, but looks to be a very minor issue. I am sitting stopped and then the interior fills up with smoke. Looks like the passenger side header as a hose hooked up above it. Seems like that is what is leaking so significantly. I don't think the valve cover seals would leak THAT bad would they?? My question is what does that hose attached to the passenger side valve cover do? I am going to stop by the dealer and get a replacement hose anyway, don't like seeing smoke inside the car.....

Update: called the dealer they can not get the hose unless I know waht it goes to. Which I have no clue, because it just goes to another nipple.

The hose attached to the valve cover on the 2.2 is the breather hose..i believe....its definately possible that the valve cover gasket can seep alot...but fill the entire cabin with white smoke...i dont know about that....if you see the valve cover gasket leaking i would go ahead and replace it anyway..its cheap and simple....:) also i would get under there and clean everything off really well if your def. not sure where the oil leak is coming from....hop back under there in a few days and it should be pretty evident the source of the leak....

Here are pics. I am thinking ill try and snug up the 3 bolts? Probably make it worse? Already pretty bad anyway... I am going to put a hose clamp on the wet hose, it is more wet near the top of the hose, then the bottom. Other side isn't to bad. It's funny though my 93 legacy non turbo with 323k km doesn't leak like this, it is very clean, I believe I snugged up the bolts once actually and that stopped it now that I recall? This 94 SS has 190k km drives amazing though.

01292009224.jpg

it's not often but i've seen valve cover gaskets leaking really bad on older gen stuff, i think new gen is about the same. it would easily happen if it wasn't installed correctly or a valve cover bolt was stripped/not torqued properly.

wouldn't surprise if it's been messed with before or if something else is causing the leak.

i agree - verify first where the leak is coming from. or the valve cover is really easy enough to just knock out and be done with it.

also replace the PCV valve with a Subaru unit to make sure the crankcase pressures can vent properly.

not a bad idea to just remove as much of the PCV system as you can and clean it out too, i've seen them caked up and clogged completely before.

be careful in the cold though, the hoses are brittle and will break very easily if cold. best to wait until warm or do it in a garage.

Is your P/S pump leaking?...323k miles on your 93 dear lord?. i would definately give a cleaning to your whole engine and come back in a few days and take a look....should pin point it than.....buy a few cans/case of brakekleen and spray the heck out of your whole engine...and if you have compressed air available clean it off with an air gun.....

That is the breather hose, they don't really leak oil.

Could be VC gaskets or cam seals.

New PCV valve is a good idea as well.

A good idea is to get a few cans of engine cleaner. Head to a self service car wash, soak the engine down with engine cleaner, let it sit about 10 mins. Spray it off with the high pressure hose. In a few days the leak will be obvious.

Thanks for the replies. To clarify I meant 323k kilometers. Now I did just replace the PCV valve, after that there was definitely less oil leaking. I ran into a issue before with the plastic T in the PCV valve system cracking. I ordered a few spare pieces so I can pull it apart and clean it up. Somone on legacycentral said my oil could be overfilled. I looked and it is indeed overfilled. So I am going to drain it a bit and recheck on levelled ground. It is to cold for a powerwasher. I do not like the idea of going to those carwash places either. I want to powerwash the motor with the engine cool.