Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Pics of the buggyroo

bigo1966

I actually sold this last fall to a co-worker. Here are some pics and specs. 1986 Subaru Wagon, 29" SS TSL's. 2" lift. Custom stuff here and there. Faster than a Polaris RZR in a drage race. Weighted about 1700lbs.

012708018.jpg

DSCN3093.jpg

DSCN3094.jpg

DSCN3084.jpg

DSCN3082.jpg

DSCN3085.jpg

DSCN3080.jpg

DSCN3075.jpg

DSCN3078.jpg

DSCN2712.jpg

DSCN2715.jpg

Here are some videos of the buggyroo in action.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=buggyroo

Edited by bigo1966

Great Pics, great video.

Subies don't climb that well with huge tires.

You get them out of their gear range and they quit doing what your used to.

It looks like sand eats power, if that was dirt you'd be up it in a flash.

I need to go put "Summer" through some sand testing.

It appears to me that Subaru buggies are not really sand rails and not really rock crawlers, they are somewhere in between.

So why did you sell it and what's next?

I sold the buggyroo to pay for a garage slab and driveway. It was street legal enough. I was 22 for 22 on passing cops and not getting pulled over. Most of they time they didnt even look twice. It was actually pretty darn fun in the sand. I think 27" tires in the sand aired down would have helped the playing in the sand. Most of those hills in the videos are very steep. Ive owned other vw sandrails and i would prefer a subaru buggy over a vw sandrail.

The next project is this. 4" lift 27" tires and one day stuff a big v-twin under the hood. Slowly hack away body parts. Build a soft top for it. I need it to be warm again.

DSCN3314-1.jpg

DSCN3189.jpg

Sweet82, Damn nice buggie. If you dont mind me asking what did it cost you to do all of that?

I'm in "Summer" (my Subaru Hummer) a little less than $1,600.

It broke out like this,

$400 steel

$600 aluminum

$500 rims & tires

I already had the car for 22 years before I changed bodys so I didn't have to buy a starting platform.

I have smaller tires (atv) than Buggyroo, but I weigh a bit more, (4 seater)

but my performance is probably similar to the videos.

It's somewhere between a sand rail and a crawler.

Trails are its' best application.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/album.php?albumid=54

Thats awesome. I have a artic cat 400 4x4 and the tires are only rated for like 6 lbs of air pressure. do the tires you have hold up well? What psi are you running in them?

Yeah same here, I have Polaris 500 and the tires only take about 6 lbs. It's crazy that they will work on something like this!

• 5 months later...

2" lift blocks on the struts and that was it. The only thing i would change was left the front wind shield and maybe a little more sheet metal around the driver and passenger to keep it warmer. Radiator in the back for easy access to the engine and trans. Air shocks work great in the rear but leaked in the winter. Weld the rear for sure. Thats all i can think of right now. The next one would also have less cage to make it even lighter.

Dude that is sweet. I have always wanted a sand rail. Now I know what to do with my "stomper" when it is so thrashed that there is nothing left to do but hack the body off. I figure the 6in lift and EJ22 will still be good so I can just tube it and go from there.