Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Portable Welders

SOOBOUTLAW

Anybody got one in your rig? I just bought one, and want to set up a charging system to keep the two 1000 amp truck batteries charged. The welder is a 24 volt Century Portable MIG. The charging system doesn't necessarily have to be running off the vehicle engine in a dual alternator setup. I happen to have a little 33cc Robin Subaru 4 stroke that I could use to build a "generator" of sorts with two high amp alternators.

yes, I have 2 portable welders :grin:

miller bluestar 180k 0-180A DC 24V and 5KW 120 / 240v AC 60hz

http://www.buysellcommunity.com/sale/PMRUSQOJ

lincoln pro-core 100 30-100A http://www.houseoftools.com/product.htm?pid=14344

for me it's the best of both worlds

just combine with a good auto-darkening helmet

as long as I can get there, I can weld it, even in the middle of nowhere

I've been witness (not staring of course :lol: ) to plenty of trail welding using a couple batteries and a couple sets of jumper cables.

Amazing is that even with the dirty crap rod and dirty metal these guys are getting some decent welds. (proly helps most of them are full time fabricators for thier 9-5 job)

One guy tore the track rod mount off of his frame. On Canopener out at TSF.

Welded it back on and wheeled the rest of the day on it like it never happened. :)

My Miller Trailblazer 302 has helped me get a few rigs home that otherwise would've needed a rollback. It's a whole different story as far as a "portable" welder gos. It is in fact portable, you just need the truck that will carry it.

I don't see much room for portable welders in the Subaru wheeling world. They weigh far more than is justifiable, and if people really start tearing up that much stuff on a Subaru, on the trails I see them on; they are probably doing something wrong, and no welders gonna help them!

http://www.premierpowerwelder.com/specs/PP160.html

The GM 160 amp alt will fit a Soob just like the 100 amp that is so common for us.

I've been told by GM wheelers that the case changes once you go up to the 180/190 amp alt. (they were confused as to why I didn't put the 160 in my Soob as it has the same case as the 100, I told them price/availability, and how much does my Soob really need?!?!)

Edited by TeamCF

Man, you must really tear it up offroad to need that!!! :lol:

Well, my rig has her share of battle scars, but almost always got me home from wheeling. Don't get me to work so well though. I think gremlins are more active in the morning rush hour environment than out in the woods.

My Miller Trailblazer 302 has helped me get a few rigs home that otherwise would've needed a rollback. It's a whole different story as far as a "portable" welder gos. It is in fact portable, you just need the truck that will carry it.

I don't see much room for portable welders in the Subaru wheeling world. They weigh far more than is justifiable, and if people really start tearing up that much stuff on a Subaru, on the trails I see them on; they are probably doing something wrong, and no welders gonna help them!

"Weld 'er up fer fiddy bux." Don't really have a need for lugging two bigass batteries around let alone a welder, but I'm just curious about the charging systems everybody got. Yet, alot of y'all got some cool welders. Git r dun.

a 33cc 4 stroke?can i see pics?that size is usually for weedeaters and chainsaws,never seen a four stroke version........that would be cool...i have an offroad skateboard that i couild really use a smaller robin motor on.....wanna get rid of it?hijack over/cheers, brian:)

http://www.robinamerica.com/pfeatures.aspx?pid=49

I have the http://www.robinamerica.com/pfeatures.aspx?pid=48 on my blower http://www.hobuk.co.uk/acatalog/BHX2500.html bought at big orange toy store for $200 about the same time I bought the miller welder

it is by far the best blower I have ever used :banana:

partial hijack :)

Yeah, that's the one in the link above. Came off a crappy scooter I bought at Schucks. Torquey little thing too. I would love to get the verticle version for a prop shaft off an old Sears outboard for my 12' Sears flat bottom fish slayer.

Edited by SOOBOUTLAW

a 33cc 4 stroke?can i see pics?that size is usually for weedeaters and chainsaws,never seen a four stroke version........that would be cool...i have an offroad skateboard that i couild really use a smaller robin motor on.....wanna get rid of it?hijack over/cheers, brian:)

Sorry, I'm not interested in selling it, but you would love how it starts right up with only a pull or two.

I've been witness (not staring of course :lol: ) to plenty of trail welding using a couple batteries and a couple sets of jumper cables.

Amazing is that even with the dirty crap rod and dirty metal these guys are getting some decent welds. (proly helps most of them are full time fabricators for thier 9-5 job)

One guy tore the track rod mount off of his frame. On Canopener out at TSF.

Welded it back on and wheeled the rest of the day on it like it never happened. :)

Now that's pretty cool, welding without a welder. How did that work out? Two seperate vehicles idling to a common 24 volt feed and ground? What's the duty cycle? I'm only using two 1000 amp heavy duty(NOT DEEP CYCLE) commercial truck batteries atm. Does that have a consistent charge? No damage to the vehicles battery(ies) or charging system(s)?

Is sharing a 24 volt ground between two separate 12 volt charging systems have any bad effect?

Now that's pretty cool, welding without a welder. How did that work out? Two seperate vehicles idling to a common 24 volt feed and ground? What's the duty cycle? I'm only using two 1000 amp heavy duty(NOT DEEP CYCLE) commercial truck batteries atm. Does that have a consistent charge? No damage to the vehicles battery(ies) or charging system(s)?

Is sharing a 24 volt ground between two separate 12 volt charging systems have any bad effect?

They had both batteries out of the vehicles linked together in series.

Amazingly those old crusty batteries still started up thier vehicles afterwards. :)

those premier power welders I linked to a few posts back seem like they are using a one battery setup. Just with a specialy built (ie beefed up) alt.