Ultimate Subaru Message Board

*...Console question?...*

Some of the early hatches ('80 type I think) had a center console where the radio was mounted at a 45 degree downward angle. I think that can be adapted to your Brat. My '84 Brat has the standard console with an adapter plate for Subaru (check the car audio places) that works just fine with a DIN size radio. I did have to trim the existing opening for the radio in the console.

Yes - some of the early 80's console's are slanted downward - but it's only some of them - I think the 2WD's?? At any rate they are very difficult to find, and when they are found, people tend to keep em - here's a pic of the one that's currently in my Brat:

http://usmb.net/gallery/GeneralDisorders-Subaru-Pictures/IMG_0508

Here's the adaptor that Ed speaks of - they are availible for about $15 from any stereo store:

http://usmb.net/gallery/albuo71/84_wagon_deck

GD

Caleb, that is a picture you guys do NOT want to see - personally with the style radio I have I dont have enough space behind (its in the lower-slot) -, so the knobs stick way out if you have a flat-front tape/CD player it may be better though

Has a kind of "pregnant L" shape - basically where the stock radio + whatever else (tray, tape deck etc) and the area under the ashtray (but leaves it operational) - ok ok, i'll take a pic :-p

- Erik Hosa - Tacoma, WA -

Of course there's the approach my youngest son had. He swapped the upper panel for the lower one. Now the radio is where the heater controls were and the heater controls are where the radio was. It only took him about 20 hours with his little dremel tool to accomplish that. I'll have a pix one of these days.

the "slant" consoles were available in brown, gray, and blue (80-81 type blue)

looking at the 80 brochure, they show the regular flat one with a cassette player, but also mention that a combo radio/cassette unit is available (I've never seen one from that vintage (combo unit)

I've seen the slant console in 80 DL and GLs. the blue color for either type console is only avaialble on the GL wagons in 80-81 I believe. maybe 82... in 83 the blue color is darker...

I had 2 brown slant consoles at one time. on was all brown, and the other was brown with a black "face". not sure if it was a different year, or someone painted it. looked stock.....