Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2003 VDC outback jerky / stuttering issue / high idle

...Yep. The VDC we just got. 9 days ago.

Stats are: H6, VDC, 60K miles.

I drove about 300 miles, and on the trip back it started doing this:

It seems to very faintly surge, and "relax" while driving. It's subtile, but noticeable.

• It happens with cruise on, and off

• When you start the car the rpms rev up to about 3K, then drop to about 1.5k, and hang out there for a bit.

• After being on for a while (2.4 min), the high RPMs settle back to "normal". (Which I think is under 1k?)

• After it's warmed up, and sometimes when it's cold, while sitting idle the rpms flutter 40-60revs. Slowly, but enough to see.

• It happens with AC on and off.

• Tried another tank of gas or two. Same deal. different supplier, different town / state.

• Using 93 Octane or better

thoughts?

We're planning a 3k Mile trip soon, and I want to get it taken care of before the warranty is up. (the pre-owned warranty the dealer gave with it)

could be a vac leak... any misfire at all, or just intermittent power loss? Mine isn't the best example but mine also usually revs pretty high when I start it and then settles down... usually with-in about 15 seconds tho...

I disagree with the tune up, the only thing I've seen bad plugs do to a subbi is give them misfire with a CEL, and usually that isn't until about 135k or so.

+1 on finding the most repeatable offense and taking it in. Don't tell them what you think is wrong with it, just what you think it's doing wrong and how to make it do it.

...Yep. The VDC we just got. 9 days ago.

Stats are: H6, VDC, 60K miles.

I drove about 300 miles, and on the trip back it started doing this:

It seems to very faintly surge, and "relax" while driving. It's subtile, but noticeable.

• It happens with cruise on, and off

• When you start the car the rpms rev up to about 3K, then drop to about 1.5k, and hang out there for a bit.

• After being on for a while (2.4 min), the high RPMs settle back to "normal". (Which I think is under 1k?)

• After it's warmed up, and sometimes when it's cold, while sitting idle the rpms flutter 40-60revs. Slowly, but enough to see.

• It happens with AC on and off.

• Tried another tank of gas or two. Same deal. different supplier, different town / state.

• Using 93 Octane or better

thoughts?

We're planning a 3k Mile trip soon, and I want to get it taken care of before the warranty is up. (the pre-owned warranty the dealer gave with it)

Honestly, nothing here sounds troubling. It is a car. there are thousands of controls explosion per minute happening, and hundreds of moving parts.

I can't physically drive your car and feel the slight *surge and relax* you describe. However, you may simply be feeling the Torque converter lockin and unlocking during high speed driving.

I wouldn't worry unless an actual problem presents itself.

To rule out the TC coming in and out, put the car in D3 and let us know what happens.

A tuneup whenever you get a used car is generally a good idea, but even this car is a bit new to need one. A fuel filter would not be a bad idea.

nipper

Edited by nipper

I'm pretty sure it's not the TC. I've felt that in our H4.

This is happening i'm thinking +/- once a second. it feels like the driver had the shakes in his right leg.

I'll check with the dealer to see if they did a tune up.

What about the throttle position sensor? =\

I'm pretty sure it's not the TC. I've felt that in our H4.

This is happening i'm thinking +/- once a second. it feels like the driver had the shakes in his right leg.

I'll check with the dealer to see if they did a tune up.

What about the throttle position sensor? =\

I have heard of other oddball H6 behavior caused by the TPS.

Dave

My wife's 2003 H6 has a similar problem in addition to also reving too high at startup. Finally threw a CEL over the weekend. TPS low voltage. Haven't got the TPS yet but sounds like it could be your problem. The CEL went off after restarting and hasn't been on since. Might be worth checking for a code. It could already be stored in the ECM.

• 1 month later...

Just checking to see if you solved your Jerky issue. I have a 2001 H6 with the same issues. It triggered a chk engine light with a P0122 code "throttle possition error, low voltage"

There appears to be other posts on this subject and a subaru survice bulletin dated 11/08/06.

Does anyone have any experience with this or have the service manual pages for throttle possition sensor replacement?