Ultimate Subaru Message Board

95 Impreza l wagon 2.2, awd auto trans. Replaced rear trans seal and still has leak. When I took the drive shaft down the old seal came right out with it on the yoke of the shaft. I did not see any damage to shaft or rear of trans where seal sits. New seal I put in was a good tight fit. Was worried cause the guy that had this car before me let this go a long time. Drove it down the road and the car still shifts fine. Now if I can just stop the leak. And yes that is the only place the leak is coming from. What did I do wrong ? Need some answers.

check the transmission vent tube, maybe it's plugged and not allowing pressure to escape from the trans and pushing fluid out the seal.

most likely the seal will need to be replaced again though i would imagine.

since you only did it once and it's an easy enough job, i would think doing it again with particular care is your best option.

get a Subaru seal only, avoid the parts stores seals, i've had Fel-Pro's aftermarket seals leak.

clean up everything really good. grease and oil the seal properly. make sure the driveshaft end that slides through the seal isn't rusted, pitted or in bad shape.

make certain the seal is installed slowly and flush the entire time. be sure to install it to the proper depth as well. maybe since the old one plopped right out, you really didn't know how far to seat it?

Ive always been told to drive pretty much any new seal in the same depth as the one you pulled out...but ive also been told to drive seals in until they stop...personally i would feel confident doing it either way....never ran into a problem so far on the dozens and dozens of seals ive done....