Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 Forester engine interchange

o.k. folks. Possibly need a long block for a 98 Forester 2.5 DOHC. The direct replacements are a bit rare and pricey.

What are my options? I have a 99 2.5 DOHC from an OBW that I heard run but know no real history of.

Sound like an intake swap and put it in? Like 99 2.5 DOHC's were any better.

Seems to me that the Forester has 2 connectors at the engine/trans so a 2.2 swap won't work since they have 3 plugs.

Thoughts/ experiences welcomed. Successful and non-successful.

Dave

No. HG's don't bother me - bearing noise.

Not just rod knock - actual bearing noise.

I just bought a 96 OBW with the same issue.

Bought a 97 GT last year with the same issue.

HG's are easy. Don't think I want to try a complete teardown and bearing replacement though.

If someone wants to do them that is reasonably priced and somewhat local I can probably bring them 2 engines at a time to do with a couple week turnaround. As long as they do quality work it would be worth discussing.

I've got 4 2.5's out of cars that this would cure (along with HG jobs and the heads will be off anyways) and another 3 in cars with the same issues.

Dave

I bet you can tear it down to replace the main bearings, all by yourself. And, if you destroy 1 trying, it sounds like you can easily get another that has bad bearings.

If you figure it out, you can make a living doing this. Good Luck, just get some courage and use the board for help.

dave, am I missing something? the 98 forester should be just like every other Phase I DOHC EJ25 you've worked on. except the bellhousing, maybe that's what's throwing you?

oh yeah, probably is. bell housing change in 98, then engine change in 99, so it's *looks* like a one year engine.

DOHC EJ25's were available in 1996-1998 Foresters & 1996-1999 Legacy's

the bellhousing bolt pattern change in 1998 - but that's actually simple to work around. use the 4 existing holes. you'll only have one holding the starter on. you can either leave it like that, or *make* the other.

intakes aren't interchangeable from Phase I to Phase II - so it ends up being complicated.

i have a 96 EJ25, head gaskets already replaced i was saving for an engine swap, but surely someone like you is used to paying small change for this stuff.

i've never tried it, but maybe you could swap the wiring harness from the 98 to the 99 intake manifold.

as an aside, i often mention the bearing problems in my *HG* comment threads too. EJ25's definitely have high rates of bearing failures compared to any other subaru engine. be nice to know why.

Edited by grossgary

Thanks for the reply's folks.

I'm thinking swapping intakes at worst case. Like I did on a recent 99 Forester.

I'm sorry but gg the phase 1 vs phase 2 stuff I don't recall when the cutoff is. If it's only the bolt pattern - I don't care.

Like I said I have a complete running 99 DOHC 2.5. Wondering if it would work as is, or with intake swapped - and if I could swap the intake.

I looked last night and the 98 Forester 2.5 DOHC looks like it has the same electrical connections at the engine/trans. Anyone ever put a 2.2 in a 98 Forester? I've got a complete car here - 97 Legacy 2.2 to use.

I'm not positive I'll be getting this 98 Forester but they come up all the time because the replacement engines are so expensive.

I did figure out what to do to work aroud the 99 Forester 2.5 SOHC one year problem. So now I'm less hesitant about buying them.

GG - Pm me about your 96 2.5 and if you heard it run, etc. The 96 OBW I purchased last week should be delivered today - bad bearings. If the price is right your engine may work. I've always stayed away from the first year, 89 octane 2.5 engines in the past. But I partly bought this car because it's Blue - getting pretty tired of the standard green. One owner, serviced regularly, and the bearings still failed.

Tom - no need for a 2.5 longblock yet. I have a few here. But it seems kinda a waste to install a longblock that I haven't heard run without doing the bearings. Kinda like installing a 2.5 without doing HG's. But depending on how things unwind I may be looking for a few 2.2's.

I agree there could be a cottage industry in doing bearing jobs on these. Frankly it's a skill set I'd rather not develop (and it doesn't sound like I'm the only one). Haven't done bearings in years - and those were on Chevy 350's and my air cooled VW's. Frankly I don't even remember any particulars about doing them. The VW's have the horizontally opposed split case just like a Suby but it's technology from the 40's.

I could start another thread but let me ask another question about another car.

97 OBW auto 185k has a constant whine in the rear at all speeds (not just above 40 mph or something). Pitch changes a little depending on slightly turning right or left.

Car had an oversized tire on RR but I don't know how long. Now all tires match. Rear diff is full.

On the road it sounds mostly like LR. On a lift at 30 mph with a stethascope still really can't tell which bearing or diff. Doesn't make much noise with no load. Just really brake drag noise since all brakes, ebrake shoes, rotors are new.

BTW I poked around a little at subaruforester.org without success. This is still the place that seems to have the most knowledgeable and helpful folks.

Dave

my last post answered all of your questions on the swap except the EJ22 stuff - yes you can use the EJ22 because it's the same swap you've already done.

here's what you're missing:

there is no difference between forester and legacy. SAME motor.

the only difference is forester went to SOHC Phase II in 1999, legacys did in 2000. so a 99 Forester engine = a 2000 Legacy engine. and all the earlier ones are the exact same.