Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hiya folks, a newbie here.

I know this has probably been discussed plenty of times, but I need a bit of help here. What psi should I be putting in my Bridgestones (front & rear) for general driving conditions. I've tried all sorts of variations and I'm still not sure.

Any advice gratefully received.

Cheers

Jon

Well you say that, but the placard on my door says 23/22. Now I'm no tyre expert, but I'd hazard a guess that's not right. I presume it's because different countries use different pressure measures.

Mines a UK spec and I can't find anything anywhere about it.

I know that Prodrive used to say use 33psi front and 30 rear. I was really just wondering what other people are using and whether it makes a huge difference to the handling when not on a track.

Written on the door still of my car: 32 psi front and 30 psi rear. I inflate my tires at 34 psi front and 32 psi rear to be on the safe side. Tires tend to loose pressure not gain it and I prefer having a slightly over inflated tire than the contrary.

My 2 cents.

P.-S.: My tire are standard for my car, i.e. 185-70-14

Yeah...door placard is a good starting point. It's the best compromise for fuel mileage, ride comfort, handling, etc. Mine says 29/28. That's a nice smooth ride, but can be mushy at times. (205/70/R15) I went 32/31 and it's a bit more responsive and has a little more gittyup. When I had an alignment done, they inflated the tires to 36psi. I bounced all over the place and every little bump resonated through the whole car.

I can't imagine how it would feel if they were inflated to the max. of 44psi.

Mad Jon, please take a closer look at the placard.

Is there a decimal point between the numbers as

2.2 bar = 32 PSI

2.3 bar = 33.4 PSI

And I was always taught, which does not prove anything, that the tyre pressure given was for maximum load

i.e. GVW

Now I personally do not ride with 5 people and their luggage every day, so I adjust mine accordingly.

My GL-10 (Old school talk and I know it does not matter -13" wheels, what matters is 185/70) is very happy and wears her tyres evenly at 28 fnt 24 rear. But I believe my car also weighs less.

I am saying your results may vary, no batteries included.

Hope this helps