Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help remove stubborn oil pump

when I had one that wiggled like that, the base plate had already broken... so I kept smacking it until the main part came out, then I used a sturdy screw driver to pry twist out the remains... took a long time, and obviously wasted the pump... and had to clean out the area good of any small chunks :)

Thanks for the advice, Here's what worked for me and It's simple enough, I put a punch on the base plate from under the car. Once the base plate came loose, the pump came out without much fuss, And I think the pump can be salvaged. The reason the pump needed to be replaced is because it was leaking badly between the body of the pump and the plate. the two pieces are held together by two screws, which had worked quite loose. It looks like I can replace a couple o-rings and put it back together. For a replacement pump, I tried to remove the pumps from two other engines I have and they both had the same issue. I have one more to try tomorrow and if that one is the same, I will have to just try to refurbish one and go with it. Oh boy.....

Since this would seem to be an issue with the ea71 pump, would it be a good idea to use a little locktight on the screws that join the pump to the plate?

Unfortunately ea81 pumps won't fit a ea71.