Ultimate Subaru Message Board

temp sender mounting options

JWX

find a shop that has "metric" adapters and there you will find a setup of pieces (like sun tune has a packet that i bought thru pep boy's a while back for the boost gauge... sooo maybe this will help with it.

my wagon had a small (1 inch long) pipe extending the sending unit away from the pump's threaded hole sooo (shrugs shoulders at this one)

did that make sense?

I installed an electric gauge in my Loyal after the EJ22 swap becouse the Loyal temp gauge wouldn't shag with the EJ sender.

I just cut it into the heater hose comming of the manifold, you will still need some brass fittings to put it together but you'll have no probs fitting it in.

passenger side of the radiator on the side wall.

on turbo models there is a similar item on the plate the thermostat is located on.

submerssed as in radiator needs proper fluid levels... even though its about midway down the radiator tank it still reads temp from the humid air in the system if its really low and steam is filling the system hence why its still technically immersed i dare suggest.

on spfi, the temp gauge sensor is on the bottom front of the thermostat housing, one single blade terminal, use that hole

the other one is for the ecu, leave it there

on carbs, ots near the thermostat, its the only sensor, that hole works

the fittongs with the hit will work, the threas is pitched *slightly* different, but it will thread, use teflon tape or pipe putty

The '87 GL-10 will have a MPFI turbo so the fitting on the goose neck (upper rad hose fitting) is too small.

I used a 1/2" galvenized pipe Tee.

The temp gage fitting I had screwed directly (read no thread issues) into the leg of the Tee. I put two short nipples in the ends of the Tee.

The heater hose is 5/8". I used the one coming from the goose neck and spliced it in under the spare.

This also affords one with a place for backflushing should the need arise.

Hope this is easier to read and helps somewhat

Skip, did you mean mine was a turbo? cause its not, I wish it was but alas its not. it SPFI. and miles on mine I can't find the flat blade one just the round one. and can somebody tell me more about splicing in to the heater hose?

edit Skip I re-read your post and saw what the splicing into the heater hose is about (still not clear on the whole turbo thing) but I have a question for you. where did you get the tee at?