Ultimate Subaru Message Board

89 GL rally car or show car

I have an 1989 Subaur GL harckback its my first car im 19 and was wondering insted of being like everyone else getting a Honda civic(they suck). Could anyone me on what would be the better of the 2 rally race the car or modify it be a show car. I know I cant have both a rally car that looks like it should be in the fast and the furious movies. When I first got the car thats what I wanted but I like rally cars more. My friends say I should get rid of the car and get a WRX Sti since I refuse to buy anything but Subarus(SUBARU RULES) they say They look good and I can rally race them. Can anyone help me decide.

Considering that it takes a lot of money to make a show car, think of what you could do in the "go" department while leaving the looks alone.

For a rally car, I would go with swapping in a turbo motor. Find a good-running turbo car that has been in a wreck and swap the motor and all the electronics. Then you can start making some power.

rally is WAY more fun than sitting around trying to look pretty, even if youre just spectating. (and lets face it, older subies arent real stylish.) i bought mine as a project rally car, and i hope to get some decent mods and maybe some rally schooling/experience in soon.

Rally Rally Rally Rally Rally Rally Rally Rally Rally Rally Rally Rally Rally Rally Rally Rally Rally Rally Rally Rally Rally Rally Rally Rally Rally Rally Rally Rally Rally Rally Rally Rally Rally IT!!!!!!!!! it's more fun that way and I would recommend making it 4wd unless you want to rallycross it (if they have rallycross in your area) and I would just keep it 2wd just for the heck of it and run production or even with mods and rally tires in group 2! that would turn some heads it would here seing a subaru in Group 2 :D:drunk::headbang:

I like Showroom Stock cars!

Nothing like seeing a older car that looks like it just rolled off the assembly line. I respect folks who take care of things over time. That's what we all have fascinations with car museums.

All the cars die early around here because of the salt. My old GL used to get me a complement every week or so by total strangers. Too bad it had cancer on the bottom side:boohoo:

Having said all that,

For a show car you need the right car to start with. If the car is not fit for restoration, why make it a money pit?

You may have more fun carving it up and playing with it.:banana:

When "Little Roo" came through SLC it turned 100% of the heads!:brow:

MY .02 about YOUR decision.

Glenn,

82 Hatch, well it stated out that way....

01 Forester, still is a Forester.....

I have a '87 RX coupe which is the same body as yours. I have done a few things to the car to improve handling etc. The car is fun to drive and I'm excited to do more.

As said in previous post, you can't go wrong with a rally car, you will have a lot of fun going to the local rallycross races or just tooling around. This car makes a pretty good platform for one, not a lot of after market stuff but there is some things available and some gheto stuff you can do.

Is you car a turbo or fuel injected?

As someone who shows cars on a regular basis (I help show and build a friend's '99 Nissan Sentra), I can say it would be difficult to make any older Subaru into a show car. The aftermarket parts support is more geared toward rally/offroad than show. Plus, as much as I love my Subaru... it's kinda ugly :) . I would play off the car's strong point - it's 4WD, stability, and good engineering, and make it into either a rally car or a trail rig.

I think that you would prolly be a lot happier doing the ralley thing. If you go to the show car route, you'll be so broke it's won't be funny. The bad thing about any Subaru before like 98 is that there is virtually no aftermarket support. You would have to make 99% of everything from scratch (which is why I like Soobs so much), or have a specialty shop make the part you need for you. All I can really say is that if you don't have a tonne of money to blow, and some way wicked fabrication skills, you'd be much happier going to ralley. In the ralley scene some good tires is about all you really need to get down with it.