Ultimate Subaru Message Board

lost keys need locks and ignition now..

What lock does it need? If all but one of the locks is good, you can just remove the bad one and either have it repaired at a locksmith, or find another good one and have it keyed to the same key as the rest of the car - thus removing the time consuming process of replacing all the locks. The ignition (contrary to poular belief) is probably the easiest of the 4 to remove if that is the case - simply remove it (I can tell you how if you like), and take it to a smith and have a new cylinder installed keyed to the original key. Cost is on the order of $20 - $30 at the smith I use......

Oh - and if all you need is keys made - get a mirror and write the number down off the passenger side door lock - they can make a key from that code - no need to remove any locks.....

GD

Take the passenger side door lock tumbler out of the car; it'll take you less than 20 minutes. You'll find a number (e.g. W138). Take that number to a good locksmith and he'll cut you a master key from which you can make as many keys as you need. Local locksmith here charges $15 for that service. Driver's side door tumblers don't always has the number stamped on them. GD has the right idea with the mirror thing; sometimes you can't read the numbers that way since it's hard to get enough light in the right area to read the number.

Almost every Foreign Car has a key code number stamped on the Passenger side FRONT DOOR lock. You have to physically remove the lock from the door in order to make sure that you cam see the whole number. Then, as stated previously you can take it to a good locksmith shop and they will have a computer program or code book which will have the key code as well as the key blank number listed to make the key on.

For all of you Subaru addicts, I strongly suggest that if you have the time to take the lock out of your door that you do so and record the number "stamped into the lock body" for future reference, say for instance when you have lost you keys miles from home and it is going to cost you betwen 1&2 hundred dollars to have an "emergency services Locksmith" come out and make a key for you. (long snetence huh)

Tom Dangelo

President

Anchor Lock, Key and Safe, Inc.

Poulsbo, WA

If you have an original key for the car - the lock number is on it too....

Just a weird tidbit that I happen to know - Nissan used a LOT of the same locks as Subaru. That's why their key blanks are the same as our early locks. Also - I was looking through a pile of ignition switches with keys that had been removed from various cars (weird that I would be doing this I know - don't ask....), and found one that looked EXACTLY like a Subaru EA81 DL (non tilt) lock..... the tag read something like Nissan 200SX os some silly thing like that. I am quite positive it was the same thing tho - even down to the bolts that hold it to the column...... amazing the weird little bits of info I have stored away isn't it?

GD

GD, I feel like you might know the answer:

I have found 2 excellent locks for the doors with original key, but the ignition lock is original to the car and I have to wiggle the key in it (both original brass one and copies) to start the car. Once I even took out the ign. key and didn't notice that the car was still running.

I have my old door locks somewhere, so if I take one of them to a shop or get the number off it, could they make a GOOD key for me, or the locks are just worn out? As I remember, the key wasn't very happy to go into door locks either (that's why I found better ones with a key).

the other issue.. why i need to replace all the locks, and ignition as well..

the keys i usd to have never worked the door locks (wrong key or the lock was fudged)

and the ignition switch only worked after a minute or so of screwing with it.. so in other words it wouldn't crank unless you jiggled the key around..

so to me its really not worth gettin new keys made for stuff that was prolly junk anyways.. i could picture skip locking the doors and then trying to open them with a (new) key..

so anyways.. still need locks and ingnition switch. and the keys for it all...

Thats pretty funny actually, glad they turned up.

Not many old Subarus have their original owners manuals anymore but if yours does check to see if it has the key code written in it. Also check your keys for keycodes and jot it down while you have the chance.