Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rev limiter on rx

Originally posted by WJM

what year is it? My GL-10 seems to rev limit at 6500. Its an 86. Where as my 89 RX will rev with nothing to stop it, except for something scattering in the engine.

Yea, what WJM said about his 89 RX. My '89 GL Sedan w/DR 5 speed and my '87 GL FWD 5 speed will both rev to 7300 RPM and both run clean and smooth @ those revs. My '88 GL 4WD w/3 AT goes to only 5500 to 5900 RPM. This one I suspect it has some form of rev limiter, fuel cut-out, or what not. The '88 GL will rev to 7300 just fine w/o a load on it. All of those tugs of the throttle happened with Sunoco Ultra in the fuel tanks, btw. I have taken into consideration that the factory tachometers could be off. I've only been working with EA-82 cars for about 6 months and I've never bothered to stick a timing light or tach on one, too busy 'wheeling them!

After a tear-down and inspection of an '86 EA-82T I can understand why they *could* actually turn 7500 RPM. Not that they're going to make lots of power @ 7500 with the cams they're stuffed with. I just thought that mabie the 5500 to 5900 RPM with the '88 w/AT *might* be an AT thing. No?:eh:

Quidam