Ultimate Subaru Message Board

continuation of my emissions removal

Alright so I have my list of what to do and how to do it, but on the list of ingredients, it says a new intake mainfold gasket..

Is it really neccisary to pull off the intake to take all the IM stuff off? or does it just make it easier

and then in the directions on how to do it, it says to remove upper raidatior hose.... I dont see what this would need to happen..

Any thoughts

Oh yea hitachi'd EA82

pulling the intake will make it easier but you can do it either way.

the upper radiator hose should stay, but I think you have to pull the upper heater hose when removing the intake. Is this the write up I posted a few months ago? I may have writen radiator instead of heater, sorry!

I would suggest draining your radiator, and disconnecting the top hose. This is the one that goes directly to your manifold. you might as well just pull the manifold off and take a good look at it to get familiar with it before you put it back on. Replace both seals just to be safe. USE PBlaster to get those bolts off, don't run into what I did. A broken bolt. use some red high temp RTV silicone to seal it. Make sure BOTH surfaces (manifold and head) are COMPLETELY clean, shiney, and rid of cardboardy gasket material before applying a new one.

Torxxx - it was probably me, I've gotten to know my EA81 and EA82 manifolds pretty good from when I tried (and failed horribly) to do a swap on my EA81 engine.

first things first, be glad you have an EA82 manifold. The carb mount has way bigger open surface area than the EA81. Bigger is better for flow. You can get a weber adapter for it, and put on a 32/36 or even a 38DGAS. (38/38 instead of 32/36) or get a weber to holley/two barrel adapter and put on a holley 2300, a 350cfm two barrel. I would suggest this one if you wanted a huge carb because the jets aren't too expensive: a jet kit runs $30 and has a ton of jets. Or, put on a two barrel to four barrel adapter and you're choices of four barrels has quadrupeled from the two barrel.

secondly, if you want, you could stay with hitachi. Go out, find an EA82 4wd carbureted car. Grab the carb. Switch the secondary jet to one from a 2wd EA82 car. at idle and cruising speeds you'll have an ECU-less great mileage. At WOT, you'll get great power, but a really crappy gas mileage. The FWD carbs have ECU stuff.

And yeah, Carbs are bad, but it's what I have to deal with until I get or make my car FI somehow.

• 2 weeks later...