Ultimate Subaru Message Board

lil' Roo's Old Age slowly creeps up...

well i believe the other wheel bearing has gone now. loud scratch scratch pop pop sound. :( yeah!! and if you look out the driver's side window. you can almost see everytime there's a pop sound the wheel go in and out... i think the grease just got old and died, then burned the bearing out. still got to check and make sure that it is the bearing. but pretty sure.

also found the reason the horn isn't working. there's an open in the ground wire somewhere in the wiring bundle... so i'll be routing a new wire this weekend. so i'll finally will have a horn again.

Then verified that the ignition switch is fried open, when in the on position. no pwr going to the coil. so that's why i've had to hot wire my coil straight to the batt to get her to run. it wasn't a bad wire.

i'll probably start to run all new wiring to the most important things. i.e. lights, ignition, alternator... also convert the alt. to internally regulated instead of externally regulated. then make wire markers so that i know where they go...

i've already rewired the cooling fans. come to find out there was a open in the automatic fan turn on gnd wire. so i've rewired them through 30amp relays and through a toggle switch in the cab so i can turn them on, off, and automatic.

Also going to go get inch or inch and a 1/2 square tubing and lift the rear of the hood. so that it's sort of a cowl induct hood. and more of the hot air escapes out of the back. too hot in AZ. and also complement with hood pins on the front. do to the fact the latch sucks.

who know's what else will creep up on me. guess i'll find out soon enough. she's just getting to the age of needing extra extra TLC.

well hopefully it'll be back in washington before i deploy. in june.

my dad lives in wauna/gig harbor area. right down from you. that's where my car will be housed for 8 months while i'm on deployment. i'm also trying to get it arranged so either my dad or someone car bring it to the west coast subaru show # who knows what. the next one.

if you don't mind mailing. tell me how much for shipping.

LCPL Cook, J. W.

PO Box 91357

Yuma, AZ 85369

thanks!

Really, what he has done with this car is not going to affect the life of its components that much. All the stock subaru geometry remains intact, the only thing that is putting more stress on components is the larger tires, lower gearing, and higher horsepower. Odviously, this will be putting a bit more stress on the car, but from the pictures I have seen of this car in action, that isn't much of a difference from the way it was before. Sure, bearings, axles, etc. will have shorter lives, but that happens with any vehicle that is set up and used for offroading.

As for stuff that might be creeping up on the car due to old age, have you thoroughly inspected the entire brake system recently? Lines rust, seals get hard, and stuff goes bad after 22 years on the road.

I think in the the long run little roo will last much longer with the 8 inchlift, lower gearing, ect. Now Jared wont have to mash the skinny pedal to the floor so often. unstead of high speed rock crawling he will actually be able to crawl! Any way Im sure whatever hapens you can fix it and little roo will pull through.

Doc J. is in the Hizouse! Fool!

LV?? not sure what that is??

the problems that are occuring, which i just posted about have nothing to do with the lift itself. or any corilation i have found yet.

the thing is 24 years old. that's barely more than 4 years older than i am. and i'm feelin acky some days. have brain farts and things slowly failing on myself. cause i abuse my body. same thing with my car. i've abused it repeatedly. i had an idea that one of the bearings was going bad for awhile.

no offense battle wagon medic. but you are one of those nusense people that don't know their place or when it's appropriate to shut your mouth. if you think this lift is so bad for it. come bring your lifted wagon down here and go on the trails i can, and compete against who's machine/driver is better. you can't! cause you don't have the balls. or the means. i invite your load mouth to run the knock-on-wood trail in superstition mtns on valentines weekend. i bet you won't even try to show. or in march or in april or hell you could run lake isabele trail with us when i bring my car back to washington in may. but you don't have the balls, so shut your mouth.

that car has forded puddles, rivers and streams. it has bathed in mud, crashed and crushed rocks. it has seen a lot and will keep seeing it. parts fail and usually several at one time. lil' roo in the past 3 months has seen over 4500 miles of non stop pavement to and from washington. at least double that in running around on day to day basis. and well over 400 miles of trails in the last 3 months alone.

brian is right that it will probably last longer now. i'll still break stuff from time to time but that's all part of the game. the game that battle wagon has no balls to play. the hardcore arena of 4xing. if you want to complain about my car put your money where your mouth is pansy. really you are just jealous i know how to use a 4x other than to run to the store.

oh forgive me battle wagon. i forgot, how the hell does wiring fail?? sure as hell not because of a lift. i'm an avionics tech. i know how to repair wires and rewire. but you are surely a brick when it comes to finding why things fail or logical thinking.

hmmm.... what haven't i done....

haven't hit any city power poles!

:brow: j/k

no there's not much that car hasn't seen or bumped into. it's starting to see even more rock crawling though. it actually crawls now!! :banana: no more high speed rock crawlin' and clutch slipping. need to get digi cam fixed. then i can take movies and pics!! and invade all the gallery's!

Guest taprackready
Originally posted by Battle_Wagon_Medic

Look Turbone.. everyone knows if you go more than 3" of lift your askin for trouble from engine, tranny, axles, bearings, etc.

Is this guy just having some good spirited fun? Playing the devil's advocate? Or is there some kind of rivialry going on?

Bill

i know brian (Subafly) has been with tape and magic marker. i would have but by the time i thought about it i had too many dents to remember where i did them. so i handed a marker to bri and he wrote down the trails.

battle_wagon_medic, does this all the time. he's rude, and jealous. and a wuss, all talk and no show...

my car has never been under a 4" lift. except stock. so obviously he's on crack. cause that would mean i was asking for trouble with the 4" lift... he's too dumb to realize what my car has been through and is being abused through as we speak. i use my car he can't cause he's a pansy momma's boy.

my car is like driving a sherman tank. (can't spell and hung over so i'm seeing multiple. sorry) it goes everywhere, it's awesome!! it breaks cause of old age, hint the topic name. as soon as i sober up i got to go work on my car.