Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

jeep 4x relay?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Txakura

Txakura

Not the Stig

• Members
  • 1,013 posts
  • Colfax, WA

Posted 11 February 2009 - 12:57 PM

1990 Jeep Cherokee Sport, 4wd does not engage with shift lever - no dash indication, transfer case is moving (went into 4 lo, could tell by rpm) but the front isn't locking

I'm wondering if there is a relay that engages the front end? I can see three relays and one large resettable breaker near the fuse box, but of course they aren't labeled

have no manual, doing web search

#2 pamike

pamike

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 383 posts
  • Jersey Shore, PA

Posted 11 February 2009 - 07:18 PM

not sure about what years had this but some of them have a front axle dissconnect. it uses a vacuum motor on the front axle that moves a shift fork and connects the axles shaft. the right side axle shaft is a 2 piece shaft. check and see if you have this. it bolts to the right side of the axle and has vac lines running to it. iirc it also has somthing to do with the 4wd light turing on also. somtimes it is as simple as a bad or loose vac hose

#3 Txakura

Txakura

Not the Stig

• Members
  • 1,013 posts
  • Colfax, WA

Posted 12 February 2009 - 12:56 AM

cool, thanks, i'm on it in the a.m. to see what can be seen :)

#4 crash321

crash321

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 286 posts
  • saginaw,mi

Posted 12 February 2009 - 10:57 AM

I don't have any experience with a jeep but my blazer had the same problem and it was a combination of bad vacuum switch on the transfer case and the vacuum actuator that engages the front axle.

#5 Txakura

Txakura

Not the Stig

• Members
  • 1,013 posts
  • Colfax, WA

Posted 22 February 2009 - 08:00 PM

This was a freebie. Wish it was always this easy... I was underneath today, and I followed the vacuum lines to the front axle - the lines were not actually connected but laying 1/4" back from the vacuum module. The rubber block that holds the hose cluster had pulled off.

I cleaned the dirt from the ports, plugged it back in and safety wired it in place. Guess what? It has 4wd again, that's all it was.

Wish everything was that easy. :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users