Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Transmission Questions

Ok, kinda what I figured.

Here's the deal. I have a 5-speed in my '84 2wd GL wagon and a 4-speed in mt '84 4wd wagon which I'm parting out. The only issue is that the 4-speed makes a noise when you try to move the car (the only way to drive it is to put it in 4wd) When it's just in 2wd, the car makes a whirling? sound and will not move. I figured with the splines on the axel were screwed or something inside it. (not fimiliar with the inner workings of transmissions.

Also, how hard is it to do a swap from auto. Any re-wiring? Can the manual trans be fixed/rebuilt?

Put the 5spd in it, much better on mileage. Wiring isnt a problem, just the reverse switch. You need to take the pedal box off the parts car and put it in. This is the hardest part, harder then the tranny install I think. Clutch cable and speedo cable. Need to swap out the brackets that hold the strut cap rods, these have to bolt to the body. Also the tranny mounts. If I missed anything, others will pitch in.

rob

Rebuilding an automatic trans is on the order of $600 or more.... just to throw a number out there. Mudrat told me he had an EJ auto rebuilt at one point - it was something like that.

Rebuilding the manual trans is also a nightmare - beleive me - I've been researching this. The 4 speeds are complicated inside, and require a serious Subaru guru to get it right when rebuilding. I don't think there's anyone around that could do it reliably, and not charge you a FORTUNE for the work. The auto would be cheaper to fix..... I may actually attempt a rebuild, or partial rebuild of a 4 speed at some point, as I have begun aquireing the manuals for it - but I need some special tools that I haven't got yet as well....

I say stuff the Auto, and put in a stick.

tranny x-member is different for auto's, you'll have to swap that off the parts car - and you also may experience a tight tunnel condition when doing to swap - hard to tell. May have to beat it in a bit.

GD

Golddogger, you've received sound advice from two of the most knowlegable sages on the old school side of the board. If you need help /questions answered in the process, Im sure GD and Turbone will be glad to walk you through it. You're in good hands here.

And welcome to the board.

Well, you get the trans from a 1985 + 4wd car! You will also need to swap out the rear end, the ratio's are different. The MT tranny is 3.9. It also means you need the complete drivetrain, which is the 2 piece driveshaft. So it sounds like you dont have enough parts:( Theres lots of 4wd wagons out there, you can pick one up fairly cheap. Its better than doing all that work.

Rob

Ok, kinda what I thought. I was juts curious if maybe you converted the tailshaft and housing or something, guess not.

I still have a few options though.My landlord has a non running '85+ Wagon with a 5-speed and I also still have my '84 4wd wagon with the 4-speed. There may be some issues with the 4-speed, but a lady I work with has an immaculate '84 Brat and her husband it the most amazing aoob mechanic I've ever met. He can and prob will do any work I heed on my 4-speed, so I'm good either way. I'm just gonna ride the auto until it poops out.

It's great to have a backup plan isn't it?! :D