Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I got to thinking, prompted by another thread about valves: What kind of valve lash adjusters are present in the '03 Baja. I may have missed it in the owner's manual but I was assured by the dealer that both our previous '01 Forester and our present '03 Baja have hydraulic lash adjusters (lifters). Both were definitely SOHC engines. So which is it? Was the dealer right?

Originally posted by CROSSTBOLT

I got to thinking, prompted by another thread about valves: What kind of valve lash adjusters are present in the '03 Baja. I may have missed it in the owner's manual but I was assured by the dealer that both our previous '01 Forester and our present '03 Baja have hydraulic lash adjusters (lifters). Both were definitely SOHC engines. So which is it? Was the dealer right?

A head with four valves per cylinder and a single cam can't use HLA's, AFAIK. I don't see a way for a single cam to act directly (via HLA's) on both the intake valves and exhaust valves.

The SOHC uses "roller rockers". If memory serves, each intake valve gets its own rocker arm, and the pairs of exhaust valves get a Y-shaped rocker arm. Check out http://www.cobbtuning.com/tech/sohc/index.html

Myles, I have finally slowed down enough to check out your link in your message. The picture of the head with the valve cover removed clearly shows adjuster screws and lock nuts. This means periodic check/adjust with feeler gages to keep from burning exhaust valves! Thanks for the information.