Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Baja Valves

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CROSSTBOLT

CROSSTBOLT

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Tennessee

Posted 16 January 2004 - 12:34 AM

I got to thinking, prompted by another thread about valves: What kind of valve lash adjusters are present in the '03 Baja. I may have missed it in the owner's manual but I was assured by the dealer that both our previous '01 Forester and our present '03 Baja have hydraulic lash adjusters (lifters). Both were definitely SOHC engines. So which is it? Was the dealer right?

#2 myles

myles

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • New York

Posted 16 January 2004 - 01:44 AM

Originally posted by CROSSTBOLT
I got to thinking, prompted by another thread about valves: What kind of valve lash adjusters are present in the '03 Baja. I may have missed it in the owner's manual but I was assured by the dealer that both our previous '01 Forester and our present '03 Baja have hydraulic lash adjusters (lifters). Both were definitely SOHC engines. So which is it? Was the dealer right?

A head with four valves per cylinder and a single cam can't use HLA's, AFAIK. I don't see a way for a single cam to act directly (via HLA's) on both the intake valves and exhaust valves.

The SOHC uses "roller rockers". If memory serves, each intake valve gets its own rocker arm, and the pairs of exhaust valves get a Y-shaped rocker arm. Check out http://www.cobbtunin...sohc/index.html

#3 CROSSTBOLT

CROSSTBOLT

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Tennessee

Posted 17 January 2004 - 12:52 PM

HLA I figured out. AFAIK does not compute. WTF, over.

#4 CROSSTBOLT

CROSSTBOLT

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Tennessee

Posted 24 January 2004 - 02:05 AM

Myles, I have finally slowed down enough to check out your link in your message. The picture of the head with the valve cover removed clearly shows adjuster screws and lock nuts. This means periodic check/adjust with feeler gages to keep from burning exhaust valves! Thanks for the information.

#5 myles

myles

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • New York

Posted 24 January 2004 - 02:21 AM

Originally posted by CROSSTBOLT
HLA I figured out. AFAIK does not compute. WTF, over.

AFAIK = as far as I know

Sorry, I would've replied sooner, but you told me to "wait 'til Friday" (WTF) :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users