Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My Company had My 84 GL Towed Away!!!

Laugh at this.

My company last night had my old beat up 84 Gl wagon towed away cause they thought it was an abandoned vehicle.

Kind of looks like it. has over 300k on it with rust, dents, etc, but it is very dependable and i have driven it to work for the last 6 years.

they paid to get it out of the impound yard and apologized but i don't think that's enough.

I'm gonna tell them on Monday if they don't like my junker, they can buy me a brand new Subie !!!

can relate. the house i rented in college. had a long park drive spot. i was prarked in it i was 3rd car parked in drive out of 5 spots.. girl downstairs had my CRX towed, cause she said it bloked her way out. we always kept spare keys in the house for this situation.

car got released with her paying.

OK ... I Understand that, but maybe is Better Idea to be Careful with your Boss... Now is Hard to Obtain a Job... At least they Paid and apologized...

Why don`t you Paint your Subie to make it Look Nicer?

Kind Regards!

I can't believe you. You telling me this my fault and deserve this. gimme a break.:lol:

I can't believe you. You telling me this my fault and deserve this. gimme a break.:lol:

No, I Don`t Wanted to Tell you that was your Fault, No. ... please do not misunderstand me! :eek:

I Just Wanted to Say that Maybe is Better Idea to be Careful when you Talk with your Boss about your Problem ... to avoid more Problems! ...

...and I Suggested to Paint your Subie Because you said it is Very Dependable but it has Rust and Dents...

Seems like I`ve mixed two different Ideas... icon11.gif ...Excuse me if I said anything Wrong... please accept my Humble Apologizes...

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Laugh at this.

My company last night had my old beat up 84 Gl wagon towed away cause they thought it was an abandoned vehicle.

Kind of looks like it. has over 300k on it with rust, dents, etc, but it is very dependable and i have driven it to work for the last 6 years.

they paid to get it out of the impound yard and apologized but i don't think that's enough.

I'm gonna tell them on Monday if they don't like my junker, they can buy me a brand new Subie !!!

You've been driving it to work for the last 6yrs and they just noticed it?

I would be a little suspicious of someone out to mess with you.

Its happened to me before :-\

Haha, that would have never happened to me, with my old '81 wagon. It was so beat and unique that my first day, at my current job, the security guard stopped me, while I was going through the parking lot. They knew they didn't recognize it and didn't think it could possibly belong.

Glad to hear you got yours out with little more than inconvenience.

Last year, I had bought an 84 Tercel with a bad tranny. I was going to fix it and sell it for a profit, but I couldn't get the tranny out. On Friday, I finally sold the car to the j-yard for $87. Well, when the tow truck driver came to pick up the car, he pulled up to tow the car away... except he was going to tow the wrong car! He pulle up behind my 87 Turbo Wagon (Murphy). I caught him before he could start hooking up the wheels, but, regardless, it was pretty funny.

You also got a good story to tell us and something to give your work a hard time about for the rest of your employment there. All in good fun of course, Heheheh!:grin:

Haha, that would have never happened to me, with my old '81 wagon. It was so beat and unique that my first day, at my current job, the security guard stopped me, while I was going through the parking lot. They knew they didn't recognize it and didn't think it could possibly belong.

Glad to hear you got yours out with little more than inconvenience.

now for a serious development. we have a major snowstorm in the sierra and the 4 wheel drive no longer works. i never had a problem before the tow.

could the tow co. damage the 4 wheel drive? the car was locked, engaged in 4 wheel drive and the emergency brake was on. they said they put the car on a ramp truck but could they still do that kind of damage by dragging it up the ramp?

The question is... What kind of damage has been done, exactly? Does your 4wd selector still feel right? If you put it in 4wd, does it make any new noises? What about driving around in 4wd? Any new noises there?

I could see a tow truck damaging a few things, but (having had to drag a few soobs around) I've observed that the wheels usually just stay locked and the truck drags the car around leaving skid marks. Mind you...this is dragging a car around for a few feet. And by that I mean 10-12 feet. Try pulling it around further than that and all bets are off.

If the car was in 4wd, and the parking brake set, the locked front wheels would have kept all of the wheels from turning. But not without binding. The rear and fronts are only connected through the tranny, as you know, so the rear wheels trying to turn while being dragged up onto the truck would have put a lot of pressure on the tranny. I say, tell your boss the car is broken, take it to the dealer to have it repaired or a new or rebuilt tranny put in it, and give your boss the bill.

this is a manual tranny car right?

LOL! My old boss used to jump start my GL-10 on a regular basis. After several trips to the repair shop without results, I finally gave up on her and begged him to just let her die quietly in the corner of the lot!

The landlord of the building was a bit miffed until The Kidney Foundation was called and off she went. Sad day.

LOL! My old boss used to jump start my GL-10 on a regular basis. After several trips to the repair shop without results, I finally gave up on her and begged him to just let her die quietly in the corner of the lot!

The landlord of the building was a bit miffed until The Kidney Foundation was called and off she went. Sad day.

This car is only worth maybe $100-200 , but the fact of the matter is , is that is very reliable and good for snow storms which we get a lot here in the Tahoe area.

I have a 40 mile commute. get 30-35 mpg. My reg is only $54 a year and insurance about another $250. I don't want payments on a new car or late model used. Plus i can usually do most of the repairs myself on this 25 yr old car.

Newer cars cost a heck of a lot more in all areas.

If the car was in 4wd, and the parking brake set, the locked front wheels would have kept all of the wheels from turning. But not without binding. The rear and fronts are only connected through the tranny, as you know, so the rear wheels trying to turn while being dragged up onto the truck would have put a lot of pressure on the tranny. I say, tell your boss the car is broken, take it to the dealer to have it repaired or a new or rebuilt tranny put in it, and give your boss the bill.

this is a manual tranny car right?

Yes , a manual. the car was locked, 4WD engaged and parking brake on. It was still that way when I picked it up.

Yes , a manual. the car was locked, 4WD engaged and parking brake on. It was still that way when I picked it up.

Unless they opened it up and took off the e-brake, it is very easy for them to mess something up. If they did take the e-brake off, the chance is less, but still rather likely. Unless you have some sort of tire slip on at least one of your wheels they bind very easily. I don't have enough experience to tell you what is screwed up, but I'd guess that did it. Love to be proven wrong... :-\

OK....jack the car up with all 4 tires off the ground. Leave it in 4wd and 1st gear. Slide under the car and try to turn the driveshaft by hand. You shouldn't be able to because the engine's compression has more leverage than your hand. Then put the car in neutral, leaving it in 4wd. Try turning the shaft by hand again. THis time, look to see if the front wheels turn with the back wheels. Mind you, you're going to have to work at this. It'll be hard to turn.

If you can't turn the shaft with the trans in gear, but you CAN turn it with the trans in neutral, probably your transmission is ok. That leaves u-joints, diff and axles. U-joints and axles will be plenty obvious. The diff you'll have to troubleshoot some. Let us know what you find out.