Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I do all of my own work. I have heard good and bad about the local shops, but that is common. You cant make everybody happy. A lot of the items that have been mentioned are just preventative maintenance, this is up to you, but while it is apart most of these items will just be parts cost. If you have to replace them down the road you incure more labor costs. Just take the mileage into consideration .

I do all of my own work. I have heard good and bad about the local shops, but that is common. You cant make everybody happy. A lot of the items that have been mentioned are just preventative maintenance, this is up to you, but while it is apart most of these items will just be parts cost. If you have to replace them down the road you incure more labor costs. Just take the mileage into consideration .

update> I took the car to have it checked out and it would not overheat. the mechanic took the probe near the overflo and did not see any high HC .

It smogged with no problem . both hoses were hot so I drove home and when i started up a hill, it started overheating again.

I put the heater on high and felt the lower rad hose and it was COLD. I just put a new thermostat in it.

i didn't see any bubbles in the overflo and the mechanic said he really couldn't do a good check unless it was starting to overheat. i couldn't go back bc i had to get to work in my old trustworthy 84 gl.

Can I take the thermostat out and run it OK? I took it out once and checked it in a pan and it opened up .

I also flushed out the system and have plenty of flo thru the radiator. I was thinking of removing the stat and try running around the hills and see what happens.

thoughts?

I also flushed out the system and have plenty of flo thru the radiator. I was thinking of removing the stat and try running around the hills and see what happens.

thoughts?

Without the theromostat in there, there isn't anything to hold the rubber gasket.

It's not the thermostat. Trust us it is the head gaskets.

If you really wnat to try it, you could gut the center section of an old thermo, and stick it in. Won't change anything. You're cold lower hose is from the airlock that happens when the coolant crossover tube get's full of air.

/\ +1 You might as well just bite bullet and have the gaskets done. You are spending a lot of time and effort , to have the same ending. Head gasket issues in these cars are a little different than most, they will usually run great all the while and the symptoms come and go. Trust us, in the end you will replace gaskets and have no more problems.

/\ +1 You might as well just bite bullet and have the gaskets done. You are spending a lot of time and effort , to have the same ending. Head gasket issues in these cars are a little different than most, they will usually run great all the while and the symptoms come and go. Trust us, in the end you will replace gaskets and have no more problems.

Thanks and you are all right.....i'm just trying to deny the inevitable. I was hoping for a easy fix and after searching and reading HUNDREDS of posts here on similar problems, I see That Subaru missed the boat on this particular headgaskest.

Abog; i'll probably have it done at Independent in Sparks. The BBB gives them a A Plus rating.

I've had 7 Subies and love the 84's and then spend big money on this 1999 Outback for the family vehicle and then this happens.

$2000 plus on a repair is more than i spent on 3 of my old trusty 84's.

I'll be very shy on buying a late model Subie again.

Yeah the 2.5 is not one of Subaru's greatest achievements. The 97 OBW that I have has been great, very reliable and went 170,000 before the head gaskets became a problem. The 2.2 is a trouble free engine for the most part. It is funny though, we go on and on about this problem, but the other car makes out there have their issues as well and usually dont deliver the service that the Subaru does. If your car is repaired properly it will deliver many more miles of trouble free service. I think everyone on the board will agree, make sure they use OEM parts. This is your best shot at a trouble free car down the road.