Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I Got My Rims Back Today

_crayola_ was nice enough to give me a set of the original white spoke wheels awhile back, which I took to a big commercial steel painting place (they paint tractor trailer bodies) & had them sandblasted to get all the rust and old paint off, and then had them repainted to the original white with a high-glass acrylic paint. They look FANTASTIC!! Now I can replace my original ones that look their age (23 years old).

They're not on the car yet. The painting placed wrapped them up individually, in that nice foam wrapping material and then taped them closed. I just put them in the garage like that while I wait for tire a I ordered to come into the tire shop. I had 4 brand new Michelin Weatherwsie tires (80K mile warranty) put on in Oct. and some $*@%&! slashed one of them a week ago.

But yes, I can get photos of them. They are truly beautiful now.

I just mounted my repainted white spokes a couple of weeks ago. I couldn't find anyone to sandblast them locally so electric sander with 180 and a wire wheel brush on a drill were my tools of destruction. Wish I could have gotten them sandblasted as I am sure they would have looked alittle better! I spent about 2 hrs. preparing my wheels before dropping them off at my brother's body shop. He sprayed them with self etching primer and Frost white. I installed new lug nuts, center caps that I had polished and new Hankook 185/80/13 tires. Those 185/80's are getting hard to find, had Kumho's on order for 3 months and finally gave up on them. I repainted the Brat for the second time last year and installed a repo of the factory stripe about 4 months ago. Hope you are as happy as I am with your wheels.

I just mounted my repainted white spokes a couple of weeks ago. I couldn't find anyone to sandblast them locally so electric sander with 180 and a wire wheel brush on a drill were my tools of destruction. Wish I could have gotten them sandblasted as I am sure they would have looked alittle better! I spent about 2 hrs. preparing my wheels before dropping them off at my brother's body shop. He sprayed them with self etching primer and Frost white. I installed new lug nuts, center caps that I had polished and new Hankook 185/80/13 tires. Those 185/80's are getting hard to find, had Kumho's on order for 3 months and finally gave up on them. I repainted the Brat for the second time last year and installed a repo of the factory stripe about 4 months ago. Hope you are as happy as I am with your wheels.

where did you find these tires? I can't anything in that size online. I had to buy a set of four lightly used/old ones at a resale place here in town. I don't know if you've got a snow/winter tread but that's the only thing I'd like to drive on...

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh there WHITE!!! but they'll look awsome with some trim rings and center caps and maybe tires :-p

Even though they're whiter than factory issue, I will be staying with the stock look (the way it came). I'm not fond of trim rings. I need to clean up my Subaru wheel caps.

looks great, but i don't think they even looked that good when they where new :lol:

Nah, they didn't. I told the paint shop to match the original color but it seems to have gotten lost in the translation from office guy to the painter. But they'll look very spiffy when mounted.

I would have had mine powder coated but there isn't a powder coating place anywhere near me.

Same problem I had, a small Powder Coating place was located about 25 miles away. I was told he was real resonable but it had to be ready to powder coat. Your rims look nice, much better job than mine. I was more concerned about the outside and that is were I focused most my efforts. The Frost White is whiter than the off white factory color but I like it. I will try and get a picture up tomorrow or so, maybe a new thread. Lot going on around here the past several days.

Wentz912, Potter Tire and Oil of Aurora, NC. Been dealing with them for 28 years and they go out of their way for me. Like I stated it took about 3-4 months to get a set so they are some still around. The way they explained it to me is that they are a rarely used size now so the few companies that make them make one small run a year. In a few years I doubt you will find them at all. They are all season tires.

where did you find these tires? I can't anything in that size online. ...

Those 13" are easy to Find Here... I Believe They`re Hard to Find there, `cos Lots of People are Runnin` Bigger Rims, like 15" or 16" also new Vehicles usually came with Bigger than 13" Rims.

Try: http://www.neworusedcars.org/Washington/Kelso_98626/Tires.php

People here Preffer the 13" `cos they`re Beefy and can Handle better our Horrible Roads Plenty of Potholes, and Potholes inside the Potholes...

Those look very nice!!! And nice wagon as well!

Thank you. And I haven't done anything at all to my wagon that wasn't stock/standard issue. I go look at other '86 wagons I see for sale, thinking I'll buy one for parts, and I have never seen any in as nice shape as mine. For me to buy one for parts (seats, upholstery, carpeting, lights, etc.) it would have to be at least the condition mine is in, or better. I know they're out there, but they're never offered for sale.

MMMMMmmmmmmmm... Nice..

Anyone have dibs on the old ones yet? (I'm an opportunist, and looking hard for some spoke wheels... LOL)

They look great, well done.

88RxTuner

Someone did ask for them a while ago. I just PM'd him to see if he's still interested. Will let you know as soon as I know.

I'm in the middle of some intensive house remodeling right now so the old rims will stay on my car until the demolition /reconstruction crew is done here --- I don't have any time to get the new & olds rims switched out.