Ultimate Subaru Message Board

a July weekend? Manashtash Area (I-90 Cle Elum area)

Rooinater

At the rate that it is not snowing this year... I figure with luck the manashtash ridge area will hopefully be mostly clear by the 4th of July. Anyone interested in a trip up the I-90 corridor for some higher elevation wheeling? The trails that would be ran range from easy to hard on the subaru wheeling scale... With plenty of options for anyone, but at least an LSD would be suggested if you are leaving the forest service roads. A lift, over sized tires and a Lincoln locker would be required for Tripod Flats and moderate to difficult trails. A lot of the trails in this area run near or along ridge lines which have gorgeous views of the surrounding countryside.

Examples of trails out of the Riders and Manashtash Camp Area: Tripod Flats, Shoestring, Manashtash Ridge, Divide Ridge (fairly easy with a ton of opt outs at road crossings)...

Night wheeling is legal in the National Forest, so I'm sure we could make a night run up the Divide trail or up to the top of the manashtash ridge area. Vehicle Limit would be set at around 15 vehicles. I'll double check the requirement for being considered an Event. National Forest Pass is required to camp in the Wenatchee National Forest $30 for the year or their is a daily rate of $5 a day.

So who would be in?

Edited by Rooinater

The 4th doesn't look good for me. . . Nao will be in school then, so I won't be able to get away for a weekend.

The shindig I want to have will be somewhere in early/mid August when she gets a break between quarters. I'm leaning towards Evans Creek again, as there's central camping and lots of different trails with different ratings. It's also more southern, so our Oregonian brothers can meet our North Washington brothers somewhere kinda in the middle. . .

The 4th doesn't look good for me. . . Nao will be in school then, so I won't be able to get away for a weekend.

The shindig I want to have will be somewhere in early/mid August when she gets a break between quarters. I'm leaning towards Evans Creek again, as there's central camping and lots of different trails with different ratings. It's also more southern, so our Oregonian brothers can meet our North Washington brothers somewhere kinda in the middle. . .

I'm in for an EC run, not so much E-berg or yakima, that's a little to far for the wheeler wagon for me, but EC would be perfect, I'm sure I could get a few of the guys that wheel with us who arnt on the board to come too.

Jeff

Well i'd like to get a group out there in July if possible, understandable for not doing it july 4th weekend, but the following weekend is the PNW4WDA Trail Jam. I have school until mid to late august, but one of the weeks in the last half of august i'll be on a 100 mile hike around Mt Rainier's Wonderland trail. So with finals for physics and Organic chem in the first half of August and a week long hike during the last half of August, and a week long family vacation in the Clearwater National Forest in Idaho directly after finals, I will be booked for August. We usually try to make it out to the manashtash area for riding a couple times a year, the ridge line trails are worth the trip alone. Mid summer fires are generally not permitted due to fire hazards.

The Manashtash drainage has a larger variety of trails that are more subaru capable than the Naches Drainage. I've never been to Rim Rock or Liberty areas so i don't know those area's trail difficulties. The later in the season it gets the dustier it gets over there. I would like to get a subaru group together for a weekend campout, but if not i'll get ahold of centralgrand in ellensburg and see if he'll tag along with a subaru for the weekend.

Edited by Rooinater