Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

'04 Impreza Gearbox

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 impreza555

impreza555

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Buffalo

Posted 16 January 2004 - 12:05 PM

My 04 2.5RS does not like to go into 1st gear or reverse sometimes. The 1st gear problem happens all the time when i am rolling to a stop and going about 10-15 mph. It will give me more resistance the faster i am going, and vice versa, until i get down to 5mph where there is almost no resistance. (the clutch is to the floor)

Reverse gives my problems sporratically. Usually when the car is cold and i haven't driven it yet. It just will not go in no matter how hard i force it.

Is there a safety device on 1st gear? Anybody had these problems before?

Any input is greatly appreciatted!

Thanks,
Tim

#2 frag

frag

Soob shade tree mechanic

• Members
  • 1,777 posts
  • Montréal, Québec, Can.

Posted 16 January 2004 - 01:25 PM

A search on this Board would have given you this result:
http://usmb.ultimate...=first 1st gear

#3 WagonsOnly

WagonsOnly

Now only WagonsMostly.

• Members
  • 1,475 posts
  • North Central CT

Posted 16 January 2004 - 09:23 PM

First gear is normal; this prevents you from over-revving the engine going into first. If you need the extra power (going around corners, etc) double-clutch to get into first.

As for the reverse gear problem, if you have trouble, try rolling (clutch in and no brake) before you shift, or hold the shifter against the Reverse position until you feel resistance, let the clutch up a little bit at a time; and slide into reverse.

#4 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 16 January 2004 - 09:54 PM

As has been said.. with first, its like that for a reason. With reverse, grinding or clunking is common on a lot of cars.. even brand new ones.. A habit I picked up from one of my Saab owners manuals was to put it in second then put it in reverse.. works every time with every car I have had since that first saab 10 years ago.

#5 WagonsOnly

WagonsOnly

Now only WagonsMostly.

• Members
  • 1,475 posts
  • North Central CT

Posted 16 January 2004 - 09:59 PM

Well...with 160+horsepower, there's really no reason to downshift to first unless you're at a dead stop. But if you wanted to, double-clutching will work. It just kills your gas mileage.

#6 Marnix

Marnix

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Netherlands

Posted 17 January 2004 - 09:35 AM

Originally posted by WagonsOnly
It just kills your gas mileage.

And your gearbox.

#7 ScoobySchmitty

ScoobySchmitty

I am The Stig.

• Members
  • 475 posts
  • Kalamazoo

Posted 17 January 2004 - 10:45 PM

Sounds normal to me. I usually don't try to get to 1st unless I'm under 5 mph. If I need something lower than 2nd during normal driving, I will rev up then downshift, but I almost never do that. Reverse I have the same problem, though my 91 is 211k miles older than that 04 of yours. Calebz idea I think is the best. Before a stop, I usually shift into 2nd, then to first. To reverse, I'll let out the clutch for a second, then try and shift into reverse. Works most of the time :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users