Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 Legacy OB Tranny advice

Guest mybadDAY

hello all,

I'm back! and I finally have my headgaskets finished. not the easiest car to work on but it's done and the engine's doin fine.

as for the transmission. I gave up on letting subaru deal with it. here in the south, there still aren't many subarus out there and not many seasoned mechanics on the AWD system down here. anyway, my OB is up on the rack, rear diff...TOAST..rear rack and pinion...chewed up and STILL a bad viscous diff.

my goal is to get this thing rolling so I can get it out of my life. SO that means I don't want to replace with all new stuff as the subaru techs would want to do. that leads me to ask any and ALL of you if you have any suggestions on where to find used or reman'd parts to help me get this car rolling again. I've listed the possible parts below...any help, link, ph # or suggestion would be great. There aren't really many resources here so I'm hoping there are some donor subies out there waiting to help bring an ailing car back to life!!

VIN=4S3BG6852V6635698

1997 legacy outback, 2.5 manual tranny

PARTS:

manual transaxle (if I can't get this diff replaced in my old one)

viscous diff

rear diff

rear rack/pinion

thanks for all the help guys,

phil

nashville, tn

Guest tcspeer

Try Campbell/Nelson in Wash. St. call 1-888-337-7757 ask for Jason Parker, I live in Tx. and I get part's regularly from their they ship U.P.S. I have been happy with my dealing with them, (price and shipping)