Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Check Engine Light HELP!

I have a 1991 Loyale. The check engine light was on, the idle is a little rough. I tried to get the computer to spit the code out, but no codes were revealed. The service manual says to replace the ECU.

I replace the ECU (with one from PAP), the car starts up, the idle is a bit high, but the check engine light is not on. Then it warms up, the check engine light comes on (d'oh!).

Again, I try and read the engine code, but it's not spitting anything out, and the light won't go out! I've tried to D-Check it, and Clear Memory, but that doesn't work either.

I NEED HELP!!!

To paraphrase Ben Stein in Ferris Bueller "Anyone, Anyone?"

The absolute most common reason for a Check Engine light on an SPFI car (when operation is barely affected) is the EGR Solenoid Valve. Find yourself a nice clean one at a junk yard, and it'll likely fix the light. I had this happen on my '88 Wagon, and have seen several other guys here with the same issue. You can try cleaning your old one, but I had no luck with that.

To find the EGR Solenoid Valve, follow the vacuum line from the EGR Valve. The Solenoid Valve is on top of the intake manifold, on the passenger side, under the intake boot. It looks like a little box with two vacuum lines and tiny air filter attached. (this is all just from memory, so I might be slightly off, but I think it's enough for you to find it)

Torxxx - It has 115,000.

Setright - Thanks for the tip, I will look into it.

CIS Subaru - I know what you mean. I've had to replace quite a few of those on the other Subs I've had. But usually, the computer will tell you when one of those goes out. I have a spare, and I will replace it and see what happens.

I'm open to more ideas if anyone has any! And thanks!