Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Front diff problems

I noticed that wobble on the stub shaft, out of the front diff on a couple Subes I put half shafts in. With fingers crossed, I thought that may be normal. (Not that I knew if it was or not. Just wishfull thinking.) Anyway, never had a front diff go out. (Whether due to that wobble or not.)

I know, that doesn't answer your question. Just a past experience(s) of mine. I may not check back in on this post, as perhaps I don't want to know. :)

Noah, I had a similar thing happen to my rear diff in the RX. Not sure if they are the same or not in anyway.

In the rear diff, there are bolts that go down the center of the stub axle. On both sides, the bolt had broken. Requires a special socket to take out. Zap has one, he could tell you I think what part # it is from Snap-On.

Maybe those bolts need to be replaced. Good luck.

I had a 2wd trans do that, the seal was leaking like a mofo. SO i took the seal out...there is a bearing under that twist in plate that holds the seal...maybe tighten that a little, and the play in the bearing will be cut down...but dont tighten too much.

just about all older subes I have seen have some wobble in the front output to the cv shaft. they also tend to leak there. I would not recomend tightening the collar on the bearing. I seem to rember trying that on my old 85 GL wagon with poor results.

sorry I dont have a FIX for this problem but it does not seem to be a thing to worry about either. my cars ran many miles like that.