Ultimate Subaru Message Board

88 GL Auto (3spd) 4x4 Transmission compatibility?

Hey folks,

Just wondering what my transmission compatibility range is for my model. From what I gather, I could fit any 3EAT transmission in my vehicle from 1983-1994. Is this correct?

I had been hearing some 'whinning' from it when I got up to about 60kmph and then on the highway this morning, I heard a pop/thud and it got weird on me. Like it had a broken gear. When I came to a stop it wouldn't engage until I had the rpms up and even then I could hear scraping/grinding noises when it was engaged. Neutral won't roll properly either...so I am looking for another transmission and I need to know what I can put in, in case I can't find an exact match.

Dean

Well, I looked around the wreckers and I can't even find one that would fit. I'd be all for having a manual 5 spd/dual range but what else would be required if I found one of those? I am running out of options. I just can't afford to spend 1500 on a rebuild of this one. Does anyone know where I could get a 5 spd and what else I'd need to get one into my automatic? I just can't give up on the hands down best snow car I have ever driven.

Dean

http://www.car-part.com/

Have a look here - you can search all North America by region - also Aldergrove Auto Wrecking carries lots of Subaru parts - otherwise look up Malahat Auto Wrecking(outside of Victoria) or Saltair Recycling outside of Ladysmith (Vancouver Island), both have Subarus in the yard - Saltair has nothing but Subaru

FYI. the 3AT is not a 3EAT (the E is for electronic. which the 3-speeds are not).

yes, any 3AT from an EA82 will fit without much difficulty.

5-speed swap isn't too hard. again, from any EA82. you'll need:

tranny

driveshaft

pedals (clutch, brake, and throttle. all one assembly, although the throttle pedal is the same).

rear diff

clutch cable

flywheel

clutch

shift linkage

interior trim (optional, but to make it look nice)

the dual range ones are much nicer, better 4WD, and the low range is nice. but a single range one would work just fine. if you get one of these, you'll also need the vacuum solenoids off the driver's side strut tower.

depending on prices at your local junkyard of choice, I bet you could get everything for $5-700.

gauge cluster is a Pain to swap, not plug and play, so just live with the PRND21 indicators (that's what I do...).

Thanks everyone. I wasn't aware of the car-part site but I'll give that a shot. I have been through Aldergrove Auto wreckers, and put a call into Saltaire but no call back and Aldergrove doesn't have anything for me. I checked through craigslist and the buy and sell and I have seen a couple of GL's out in washington but they are 5 spd's as well. I would really like to try getting this one a new tranny before I start hacking the poor thing apart. Being such a novice, I have been reading as much as I can about automatic transmissions to prep myself on this journey. Numbchux - thats great info, thanks. At least I see my options are opening up here a bit. Ivantruckman...let me know what you find. So far you would be my only hit for a match.

Dean

Ok, so I can't even find a rebuild kit for my transmission. The local guy here says that they could make one for me but that would cost just as much as taking the tranny in to them to be repaired. He promised to only charge me 3 hours labor plus parts to fix it for me, which seems like a good deal.

Tha being said, I am going to pull the tranny out myself. Again being a novice wrenchster, I am looking for some guidance. I have my Haynes manual which describes a few steps, but to be honest I don't trust it.

Any suggestions for me here fellas? I don't expect anyone to list out the process, but maybe there's a link here that I can't find or a better guide that someone might know of?

Dean