Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'86 Brat EGR Light Reset Question

casm

I just bought an '86 Brat in really nice shape to replace the '85 I had in CA before moving to VA. The EGR warning light on the '86 is on. According to p.249 of the up-to-1988 edition of HTKYSA, you can reset the light with the following procedure:

'85-'86 models: Remove the plastic panel on the lower left side of the dashboard. Remove the screws that attach the fuse box, then pull the fuse box away from the dash. Dig around amongst the wires behind and above the fuse box until you find a blue connector plugged into another connector. There should be a green connector nearby that's just like the blue one, except that it isn't connected to anything. Disconnect the blue connector and plug in the green one where you disconnected the blue one. Install the fuse box and plastic panel.

The procedure itself makes decent sense - but the part I'm not clear on is what happens after the blue connector is plugged into the green connector. Do I just leave them plugged together, or do I return the blue connector to the one it was originally plugged into?

Testing showed that the EGR valve is actually shot, and the new one should be here in the next day or two; it'd just be nice to know if after moving the connectors around the light is permanently disabled or not. If it's on a timer I don't really care if it's gone for good, but if it can actually detect an EGR fault I'd like to have it working at least while the new one is bedding in in case something goes haywire.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I had a question for you guys. I recently had a my EGR valve go out and i ordered a new one. I got the new one and it only has a spot for one vacuum line on the top of it but the one on the subaru has a 2 hoses, one on the top and a lager hose connected to the base of the EGR valve. Did I get the wrong one? I cant seem to find any valves online with 2 spots for hoses

I had a question for you guys. I recently had a my EGR valve go out and i ordered a new one. I got the new one and it only has a spot for one vacuum line on the top of it but the one on the subaru has a 2 hoses, one on the top and a lager hose connected to the base of the EGR valve. Did I get the wrong one? I cant seem to find any valves online with 2 spots for hoses

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SMP-STANDARD-EGV1114-EGR-Valve-/200717648219?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ASubaru&hash=item2ebbb4415b&vxp=mtr

Awesome thanks. I'm new to subarus, my wife inherited this brat and it just needs a few things. Any one know where to get original interior parts? the dash is cut for a stereo and I want the original dash piece. They need like an LMC catalog for old subarus.

You can eliminate the valve that connects to that silly large pipe off the EGR - that's just an extreaneous bit that you don't need. It's the AAV (anti-afterburn valve) and it prevents fuel from being sucked into the engine through the idle circuit under closed throttle coasting.... it's probably shot by now anyway so you can just eliminate it. Use an EGR from a mid to late 90's EJ22 or EJ25. They have a smaller diaphram and fit easier.

GD

To bad the car still thinks theres a EGR in it.

My Brat's EGR light came on and all my stuff is removed.

Thought it was really weird until I saw the mileage......180K.

Thats when I knew I had to get under the dash and switch the plug.