Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Racer RX, future plans. No so secret mobile!

WJM

So, i was orginally gonna scrap my Racer RX, since its in no condition for anyone to really want it. Bent up unibody from many wrecks, body in so so condition, stripped interior, no heat, no ac, blown head gaskets with a bitshy engine...some ill handling characterists with the warped frame...things of that nature.

But, after getting over the initial anger, I wont be scrapping it. Instead, a slow build up. Something to outperform the famed Ultimate RX, but it wont look nearly as good...unless i start to roll in some money sometime.

Here are the plans...

Full EJ drivetrain conversion, preferibly STi version 5 or better, with an EJ22T shortblock.

Full 5 lug conversion...with STi goodies, and maybe a full coilover system if I can fab something for the rear strut towers...IE: make strut towers.

Maybe seam weld the unibody after i get it strightened, and then get a full cage...and do all the race car goodies to it on the inside.

More to come, ofcouse I will keep ya'll posted.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good plan, but I think I get a vote to if it is worthy of the UltimateRX name. :D

Why a version 5 STi, anything special about that version? The version 4 had a EJ20K engine, version 5 and on have the EJ207 engine, the EJ20K would be more compatable with an EJ22T engine. If I remember correctly, the EJ20K and the EJ22T are open deck engines and the EJ207 is a closed deck engine. While the closed deck help it produce 20 more horse power, the cooling hole pattern does not match that of an open deck engine so you would have trouble using the heads from the EJ207 on an EJ22T block, plus you would lose the advantage of the EJ207 engine. The engine in the 22B was a version of the EJ20K engine, if that is what you are trying to re-create.

I thought the US legacy EJ22T was closed deck, and is a medium pressure die cast (or something like that) block, and supports up to 350 or more HP with stock internals...I was planning on that, plus the EJ20 DOHC head setup....yes, to recreate something like the 22B engine.

Ive read something aobut this over at Nasioc. Ill go find it again.

hmmm I really need to start applying all this turbo theory ;-)

one hint: Impreza/legacy axels and knuckles...know for sure if even you don't use the knickle and stick with the xt6 knuckle the outer cv joints are the same 27 spline units so Impreza axles are expected to slide into xt6 hubs..the diff in neutral axel length is like 6mm...

after you get it straightened

perhaps weld in some square stock as a subframe

to help reinforce the already stressed unibody

to help prevent future problems

you could cut holes in the floor and tie the roll cage into the subframe

might also help with your new suspension fabrication

just random mumblings

that i had thought of doing if i had a welder and money and time

Well I just read through the whole post from NASIOC, and nowhere in there, although it was asked many times, did any one say which heads fit the EJ22T engine. By the way, I seem to alway get the closed deck/ open deck thing mixed up, looks like I did it again. But I did see some info there that supports me. One guy stated that he thought the correct designation for the EJ22T was EJ22K, if so, the would make it compatable with the EJ20K (the version 4 STi engine). There was another who called the EJ25 an EJ257, which would make it similar to the EJ207 from the version 5 STi engeine. So it looks like the heads for the EJ22T(K) need to come from a version 4 STi engine or a pre 97 WRX engine.

Hi Will,

I have a bunch of EJ engines sitting at home, and I just finsihed an EJ25 conversion for my mate'sMY92 Legacy 4WD Turbo (orginally with EJ20 closed deck turbo engine) which is now pushing more than 270 hp on a VF23 turbo and stock electronics and boost pressure.

Here's what I know from my experience (some info I gathered when I was in Japan) with these engines so far:

1) All heads fit all open deck engines. Use head gaskets that match the cylinder bore.

2) DOHC heads have different cooling patterns than SOHC heads, therefore head gaskets are not compatible.

3) EJ20 DOHC and EJ25 DOHC heads share identical cooling patterns and fit to all closed deck engines.

4) A closed deck does not make more hp than an open deck version, it can simply withstand more boost and higher rpm due to stiffer cylinder bores.

5) Phase II DOHC cylinder heads do not fit Phase I intake manifolds and vice versa, due to changed port size and bolt pattern.

6) Engine designations:

EJ20D: closed deck and open deck non-turbo DOHC engines

EJ20E: open deck SOHC engines

EJ20G: closed deck and open deck single turbo DOHC engines MY90-MY96

EJ20H: open deck twin turbo DOHC engines MY93-98

EJ20K: open deck single turbo DOHC engines MY97-98

EJ20R: open deck twin turbo DOHC engines MY96-98

EJ205: open deck single turbo DOHC engines MY99 on

EJ207: semi-closed deck single DOHC turbo engines MY01 on

EJ209: open deck twin turbo engine MY99-03

EJ22E: open deck SOHC engine

EJ22G: closed deck engine (22B: DOHC, Legacy Turbo: SOHC)

EJ25D: open deck DOHC engine MY96-98

EJ251: open deck SOHC engine MY99 on

EJ257: semi-closed deck DOHC single turbo engie MY03 on

Then there still is a bunch of EJ15, EJ16, EJ18 and even more EJ20 engines, but I can't be bothered to list them as they are not interesting when it comes to high performance engine swaps.

I might aswell change my name to Dr. EJ.

:D

WOW Marnix, great info, I'm going to have to copy this for safe keeping. It show that the EJ20G had both open and closed decking, is there any info about which years had what? It looks like the older engines had the closed deck and the newer ones have the open (or semi-open) deck.

Great info! *drool*, hey is there gonna be an engine in my goodie package from the netherlands? ;)

Oh, i got 99.2 whole wheel HP at the dyno day today. thats about 141 est crank HP. Thats with a mixed fuel, about 97 octane, and the timing well below the detontation thresh-hold. I will make athread later about it.

Originally posted by Dr. RX

It show that the EJ20G had both open and closed decking, is there any info about which years had what? It looks like the older engines had the closed deck and the newer ones have the open (or semi-open) deck.

Yes. The EJ20G in the single turbo Legacy MY90-93 always had the closed deck competition short block. After that, only the first three or so JDM STi type RA version of the Impreza had the closed deck engine. The only other Impreza to get a closed deck engine was the famous 22B. After that, all versions up to the STi V7 had open deck engines, from V8 on they have the semi-closed deck blocks.

I don't believe you can see from the outside what kind of deck structure the engine has.

So my questions are, 'Dr. EJ' LOL when did Subaru move the EJ engines to cam on bucket style valve system vs the hydraulic lash adjusted rocker system?

also do all the turbo engines have piston oil squirters, closed and open deck? I notice that the ej22 I got a look into had sleeves in the cylinder bores do all EJ engines have sleeves?

thanks

WJM,

still interested in tossing that 4wd stuff a long long way to me?

Yeah, just depends on what all you need. I could send a complete car.

its like...a 1988 or so, EA82 powered wagon. 4wd, 3AT pushbutton. Runs....it over heats. needs a new rad I think. I can throw that in if you need it. $500. Then we got to ship it. lol

Otherwise, id have to strip another car to get all the 4wd parts.

According you the engine in your sig, it should be a pre 1985 car, but if i remember, its actually an 85+, but with an older engine in it.

PM or email me if you want. wmaham1701@hotmail.com

So, Marnix, if I took the heads off of an early EJ20G and added them to the a USDM EJ22G (SOHC), they should match perfectly (except for head gasket)? If so, does anyone know where I can get a set of 22B cams??? Are you saying that only the type RAs got the closed deck and the others were open??

Originally posted by PoorManzImpreza

So my questions are, 'Dr. EJ' LOL when did Subaru move the EJ engines to cam on bucket style valve system vs the hydraulic lash adjusted rocker system?

On the early Legacy EG20G engines, Subaru used hydraulic lash adjusters (same part as on SOHC engines) and rockers on the DOHC setup.

With the Impreza EJ20G engines and early EJ20H engines of the Legacy BD/BG, they converted to a direct cam on bucket style valve actuation, but still with hydraulic lash adjusters, this time incorporated in the buckets, same style as SVX engine. However, they abondoned the lash adjusters for early STi type RA engines, and for all engines starting I believe either MY97 or MY99.

Originally posted by Dr. RX

So, Marnix, if I took the heads off of an early EJ20G and added them to the a USDM EJ22G (SOHC), they should match perfectly (except for head gasket)? If so, does anyone know where I can get a set of 22B cams??? Are you saying that only the type RAs got the closed deck and the others were open??

Yes, EJ20G heads match EJ22 SOHC short engine. I have both the heads and the short engine at home and have been playing with the thought of an EJ20G / EJ22E hybrid engine myself.

The 22B used exactly the same heads and cams and turbo as the MY98 STi Version IV:

CYLINDER HEAD RH (1) 11039AB132

CYLINDER HEAD LH (1) 11063AA742

GSKT CYLINDER HEAD (2) 11044AA590

CAM SHAFT RH IN (1) 13032AA390

CAM SHAFT RH EX (1) 13035AA390

CAM SHAFT LH IN (1) 13038AA390

CAM SHAFT LH EX (1) 13053AA390

TURBO CHARGER (1) 14411AA300

As for closed decks on RAs... I only know for sure that the Legacy Turbos had closed decks - always. Then there are some early Impreza STi and/or RA engines that were closed deck... But exactly which ones, I don't know.

In the mean time, I have found out how to recognise closed deck engines from open deck ones. I can take pics, but can't post them. Anyone who can host them for me?