Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what engine and transmission?

wfothrottle

hey yall,

i'm new to this forum, i'm planing on building a project with a "all subaru drive train", and was wandering what the overall dementions of the engine and trans are, how they change over the years, and how they change from model to model(or do they stay the same).

thanks for your time

i'm looking to build a reliable all wheel drive vehicle, that i can drive every day and take to the track on weekends.

i'm going to build(or have one built) a tube frame and put a fiber glass shell on top of it, i just havent decided what kind of car it's going to be. it'll be something small like a CRX, or a mini truck, or something, and it will be a daily driver.

i havent decided on the final product, but i do want a all wheel drive platform, and subaru seems the way to go.

i'm just resurching right now, and this seemed like the best place to start

Something like this YESSSSSS:banana::burnout:

yes, well kind of......i am planning on a full body car, but the consept is there.

the only thing i'm really woried about is the distance from the front of the engine to the axle center line.

does any one know what that approximat measurement is? this dimention is what is going to tell me what kind of shell i can use. i can relocate things like the radiator, but i still need to clear all of the pulleys on the front of the motor.

I finally got to the garage and opened the hood. The measurement from the front pulley (eyeball) to the centerline on the front wheel (again eyeball with help of a door level) is 22.25". I did not measure to the top of the strut since you will probably do your own suspension.:) Hope this helps.

I finally got to the garage and opened the hood. The measurement from the front pulley (eyeball) to the centerline on the front wheel (again eyeball with help of a door level) is 22.25". I did not measure to the top of the strut since you will probably do your own suspension.:) Hope this helps.

thanks........:D

now for the hard part, trying to pick a body...........:banghead:

to you think a 2.2 would fit in a honda CRX?

and my 2nd question...........do the transmissions change from modle to modle? i'm trying to find a doner vehicle

I think the only issue would be the short hood and lack of trans tunnel. Transmissions from any ej series engine I believe are all plug and play with exception of the hydro and cable operated clutch with a few mods. Do some searching and you will find compatabilty questions answered. Good luck:)

I think the only issue would be the short hood and lack of trans tunnel. Transmissions from any ej series engine I believe are all plug and play with exception of the hydro and cable operated clutch with a few mods. Do some searching and you will find compatabilty questions answered. Good luck:)

the trans tunnel isn't an issue, but the short hood is. how much do you think i could move the engine back without getting into drive line issues? i'm thinking about 4" is what i'll need to clear the front end.

the trans tunnel isn't an issue, but the short hood is. how much do you think i could move the engine back without getting into drive line issues? i'm thinking about 4" is what i'll need to clear the front end.

I would think that it would not be any different than doing a lift, you may want to look into cv joints that can more take extreme angles better that a stock shaft. Other on here that have done a lift could answer your question better than me though since I have no experience in lifting a rig.:)

• 3 weeks later...
You might think about using the all wheel drive setup from a civic wagovan, and maybe throwing an integra motor in it. I know that is not a subaru set up, but it might just be way less custom fabrication.

ZERO aftermarket support for transmission upgrades

Hell, just finding stock parts for service would be a challenge.

Subaru drivetrain will leave the most doors open.

If you are custom fabricating a frame, you could put any body you want on it.

i was concidering the awd civic, but they are few and far between. i like subaru's, so i would like to use that drive train.

the only issues i'm having are the distance from the front driveshafts to the front of the motor(i don't know how far back i can move the engine & trans back whithout getting into drive line issues), and what doner vehicle to steel the drive train from. i'm looking for a non-computer controled transmission, and i'm not sure when they started with that.

Welcome.

What part of California are you at?

If you are near the Los Angeles area, we can maybe get together and kick ideas around.

Non-computer controlled tranny would probably mean a manual.

Here are some questions you need to think about.

1) How much HP do you want.

140 hp in a 2600 lb car vs 140 hp is a 1600 lb car is a huge difference. 140 being the HP of a typical OBD1 EJ22.

2) How good are you with wiring.

If you go EJ then you will need to know how to get the harness trimmed. To entirely tough, but time consuming and very intimidating for a 1st timer.

A good donor probably would be an early 90-95 legacy. Lots of them out there, and you can get one for under 1000 in running condition, in non-running condition, you can get it for under 500. When you get to the later model legos w/the DOHC EJ25, you start seeing HG problems.

What ever you decide to do you might as well design the tube frame so that you can get easy access to the heads. That will facilitate future poor man power upgrades. Do some searching on nasioc and rs25 on the various hybrid motors out there. EJ25 shortblock w/EJ22 heads for high compression n/a motor, EJ22 shortblock w/EJ25 DOHC heads for low compression high boost motor.

Have fun w/your project.

BW

• 2 weeks later...

i was looking @ the early 90's legacy, but all of the ads say fwd/awd. i don't know what that means. i'm looking for full time awd, is the early 90's legacy is full time awd?

i like the idea of the EJ22 w/EJ25 heads, that's right up my ally. i can start with a stock EJ22 and upgrade the heads and boost it once i get all of the bugs worked out.:burnout:

to answer your questions, i do live in the L.A. area, i do want a manuel trans, i don't think i could ever have enough HP, and yes i am good with wiring (it's just a pain in the a$$).

FWD is front wheel drive, AWD is all wheel drive

no, you miss understood what i was tryint to say. the ads that i saw said "fwd/awd", like it does both. my question was, what does fwd/awd mean? is it a duel function trans, or is it a typo?

i'm sorry if i was unclear, i'm completely new to the subie world and have no idea what's out there.