Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ engine EA tranny- I'm going in...

It's like the night before Christmas, I can't wait for tomorrow. I just wanted to post what I have done, and what I will be doing tomorrow. I am just a bit excited, and I need to vent. My wife has asked me kindly not to talk to her about cars or racing.

What I've done...

Flywheel and clutch--

Easy breezy, just dropped a 3/8" end mill in my drillpress and elongated the holes to match the EJ crank. A bit more to it than that, but not much. The EA clutch went back on the EA flywheel, which is all now on the EJ engine. Maybe 3 hours.

Adapter--

Much much easier than I thought. I went to the local aluminium supplier, told him what I was building and he hooked me up with some BEAUTIFUL aluminium. The spacer should be 10 to 11mm, and the aluminium 1/2" thick, about 12.7mm. The difference in thickness is about 2.0mm. I don't see any problems. The adapter is already cut out. Making template and cutting out adapter, about 5 hours.

What I will do next...

Tomorrow the adapter gets some holes. This will be the trickiest part, but I am quite conifident that tomorrow the engine and tranny will be one, and I will be building the new subframe.

If anyone is interested...

Like I said, I have a template made for the adapter. If it all works, I will put together a more detailed set of instructions for the whole process, a picture of the template and how I made it, and put all of it on my web page. Sad as it is (the page that is), It's a great way for me to chroncle the whole silly project.

Till tomorrow

Troy

I didn't read it in your post, but you do know that the input shaft on the EJ series tranny is actually higher on the tranny then that EA series. So I would suggest bolting eveything up to the engine (adapter plate, and clutch assemble, then try to put the EA tranny in place. Now you should be able to mark the hole locations for the EA tranny on the adapter plate.

Corky,

The 2 lower studs in the block and lower holes on the tranny line up well. When I put those together the input shaft slides right into the flywheel and clutch without any problem. I have done it several times in order to make the template for my adapter plate.

In fact I am nearly done with my adapter plate. The problem I am having with holes is for the 2 upper bolt holes. The EA tranny flywheel housing does not match the EJ engine flywheel housing. The 2 upper bolt holes on the tranny, and on the engine, are not spaced far enough apart for me to do a side by side. That is drill and thread some holes, and mount studs in the adapter. SO I am taking a break to mull this one over. I had expected the problem. But that didn't make it go away.

damn...

off to the shop.

Troy

I will update the photo section on the Leroy page in the next couple of days. I have to take the tranny off 1 more time, so I should be able to get a couple of pics with the adapter in place.

The photos I have up are at my web page

One look will show just how insane this project is.

Troy

http://petersontroylynda.home.comcast.net/wsb.html

I ask myself that question occasionally.

I have a Justy that will have an EJ 1.8l engine, an EA dual range tranny, and the rear end out of an XT.

I am keeping the Justy length, and the XT width.

I am building a tube frame from the firewall forward, that will tie to the rollcage already in place.

I am building a double wishbone type front suspension, and have gone with coilovers in the rear.

The pictures at my web page show the basic damage.

http://petersontroylynda.home.comcast.net/wsb.html

Last year, I looked into making an adapter almost exactly like what you made. I stopped when I realized that the EA flywheel wouldn't just bolt-up to the EJ engine. I had considered elongating the holes, but I didn't think I could do it myself and feared that they needed to be backfilled and be round again for strength.

The bottom studs were in the correct location, right? It sure looked that way as I was attempting this. I was actually using an EA82 engine bellhousing with an EJ tranny just to make my measurements since the EA82 bellhousing is very open and allows you to see inside well.

How did you conquer the upper bolt problem? I had planned to bolt my adapter to the tranny first, then bolt the engine onto that assembly. I had also planned to use steel for the adapter, as I wasn't sure if aluminum could handle the stresses of the offset upper bolts. Also, there is an industrial saw blade manufacturer near me that has been known to make an occasional custom auto part, and I thought they might be able to make a run of these adapters from their steel stock pretty easily (using an automated laser cutter). I don't think they have anything thick enough, so I was planning a sort of laminate sandwich setup. Never checked the price though, since I gave up on it. Probably would be too expensive.

Did you lighten the flywheel, or use an XT6 flywheel, or is it just a stock EA82 flywheel?

This has all renewed my interest in completing "Chemical X", my '81 DL Hardtop with '97 Impreza engine.

So you just are crazy? This Justy will just be RWD then?

When I did mine I just cut the top section of the bellhousing off both trannies and then welded the EJ sections to the EA tranny. This allowed me to use the stronger EJ clutch and still have a duel range with diff lock.

I am done.

The final solution for the top two bolts was simple in the end. I had to drill through the tranny bolt hole, through the adapter plate, and into the EJ flywheel housing. the hole came out just inside and under the EJ bolt holes, still in the flanges. There is not as much material for the bolts as at the actual EJ locations, but enough to get the tranny secured at the top. I counter sunk the bolt holes in the adapter at the stock EJ bolt locations, and used bolts without shoulders to attach the adapter to the engine. At the EA location, adjacent to EJ bolts, the tranny ties through the new holes into the flywheel housing itself. The spacing was too tight to thread into the adapter, but had enough room (just) to pass a bolt into the engine itself. I threaded the new holes in the block to accept standard Subaru 10x1.25 bolts.

To add strength I opened the stud ears on the tranny and tapped holes into the adapter to accept two more 10x1.25 bolts instead of the studs. At the EJ stud locations, I drilled holes through the adapter and used a nut and bolt at each to tie the adapter to the block. In the end both the adapter and the trany have 6 bolts holding them in position.

The adapter is dead simple to build. I will sit down and write a more detailed descrition, and improve on what I have done in the process. My adapter should be very strong, but someone elses could be even stronger.

Don't use steel. It is too heavy and too damn hard to work with. The Aluminium I used is very light, very strong, and very easy to work with.

I used a sabre saw, a drill press, a hand drill, a couple of different drill bits, a mill end (wouldn't use it again, now that I am done), and a 10x1.25 tap. No fancy blades or bits, A lot of oil and wood blades will cut the aluminium like butter, almost.

I found that I needed to mount the adapter to the engine, and then the tranny to the engine and apdapter. I could have left out that step, in hind sight, by changing a few things.

The process is very easy. The hardest part was taking the tranny off, and putting it back on about a dozen times (easily!) to make the template, and measure and drill all of the holes. With a decent set of instructions and some simple tools, this process is quick.

Someone mentioned going with the stronger EJ clutch. I wanted to do that, but the car in the end will be so small compared to what the EA pushed around that the trade off seemed fine to me. Someone also mentioned cutting and welding the housing off of one to make the other work. I also thought of doing that, but I have never welded aluminium. Cutting and drilling I can do.

Last, I have no space or body restrictions. I can make what ever I need to mount this. It seems to me that there would be no conflicts, but I don't know what would happen when it came to mounting the EA tranny in an EJ body.

Troy

i guess it wouldnt be possible to get a picture...or 2 or 3...

Also, if there any reason why you could not use an EJ flywheel/clutch set? The reasoning behind that use of the EA stuff was....?

Im thinking of EJ205 in my RX now that this is along.....i wonder how it would sit in the engine bay...such as engine mounts....

I went with the EA Flywheel and clutch because the EA tranny flywheel housing is a smaller diameter that the EJ flywheel. It wouldn't fit. Actually It did fit, but then the starter didn't.

Just remembered, someone asked about elongating the holes. If you are carefull when elongating the holes on the EA flywheel, you shouldn't compromise the strength. You only eliminate one adjacent hole face. but the holes are only about a half a hole off. Mine went on tight as a drum. No shifting whatsover because the elongations are directional, the flywheel can't slip.