Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

P/S shudders, why????? (94 impreza)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ratty2Austin

Ratty2Austin

have tools, will fix

• Members
  • 2,385 posts
  • West Coast USA

Posted 17 January 2004 - 03:13 AM

so i just did the timing belt and reseal front of the engine on my impreza, and when i got it ready for its test run, it was all working well, untill i pulled out of the driveway and turned the wheel.
when i turned the wheel, (at stop or slow speeds, thus having more stress on the P/S pump) it made a shuddering feeling/sound mostly coming from the drivers side... and it felt like the pump was stalling a little bit...??

the steering did not do this before i took the car apart, what could cause this?

i checked the fluid, it seems to be normal level, and not foamy...

thanks!

#2 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Members
  • 4,781 posts
  • Texas

Posted 17 January 2004 - 07:26 AM

Though I'd expect it to squeal, perhaps the drive belt is slipping ?

#3 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,630 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 17 January 2004 - 11:39 AM

mine sorta does that....unfortunately i haven't really figured it out since it's random.

#4 meep

meep

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • No. AL

Posted 17 January 2004 - 03:07 PM

domestics do this if the wrong fluid is used or the friction characteristics of the fluid change.i.e, slick ATF in a chrysler does this consistently.

Flush the fluid and use exactly what the manual calls for.

Mike

#5 frag

frag

Soob shade tree mechanic

• Members
  • 1,777 posts
  • Montréal, Québec, Can.

Posted 17 January 2004 - 03:17 PM

I would second 1 Lucky Texan on that one.
I remplaced the cam belt on my car and it seems to me that the only thing one has to remove that has a direct relation to the P/S is the drive belt.

#6 Ratty2Austin

Ratty2Austin

have tools, will fix

• Members
  • 2,385 posts
  • West Coast USA

Posted 17 January 2004 - 06:19 PM

well, thanks for the replys, the shudder seemed to be related to the car sitting for so long.. cause I drove it around a bit, and now it went away! and it is back to normal!

thanks

#7 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Members
  • 4,781 posts
  • Texas

Posted 17 January 2004 - 09:10 PM

Never really thought about it before but is there a recommended fluid change interval for PS fluid? Seems like it could - over a long period - collect water and other contaminates. Sitting around for sometime could allow water to settle into the rack instead of being suspended I guess?

#8 99obw

99obw

this space for rent

• Members
  • 1,595 posts
  • Ithaca area

Posted 17 January 2004 - 09:27 PM

I like to change it out when I do the tranny fluid. Use a turkey baster and remove most of the fluid from the reservoir. Then refill and run the car for a minute, turning the wheel from lock to lock. Repeat this procedure 5 or 6 times. Works really well and only takes about 15 minutes.

This technically won't replace all of the fluid, but it will replace most of it, and removing the return hose and flushing it properly is a PITA.

#9 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,630 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 17 January 2004 - 10:53 PM

hmmmm never thought of the fluid.....I'm using a synthetic ps fluid......wonder if I should go back to just a dextron III fluid.......

#10 frag

frag

Soob shade tree mechanic

• Members
  • 1,777 posts
  • Montréal, Québec, Can.

Posted 18 January 2004 - 11:12 AM

I drained the fluid in my ps 2 years ago (turkey baster method) and replaced it with Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF. Never had any problem related to the ps even during the coldest weather.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users