Ultimate Subaru Message Board

*teaser* rear EJ brakes on EA car..

yea, rguyver "just" welded a ring on the inside of the EJ backing plates to make the center hole smaller, then drilled the 3 holes. Kaz made an adapter.

not exactly ground-breaking stuff, but definitely pretty cool.

my concern is the offset. rguyver found that the rotor offset was perfect the way he did it, by putting an adapter plate between the trailing arm and backing plate pushes it out, which will screw up the spacing between it and the hub face. I suppose you could throw a spacer of the same thickness between the hub face and rotor. but that would push the whole wheel out, which will change how the tire fits in the wheel well (depending on the wheel offset, that could be good or bad).

long story short, I'm anxious to see how this turns out.

I typed a nice long paragraph and lost it to crappy 'net..:mad: :-\

Anyway, just to clarify:

4wd EA car with ER/XT6 rear hub unaltered

EJ backing plate, handbrake setup, rotor and caliper.

Rguyver used an r180 setup on his brat, for those that don't know the r180 STI setup has bigger diff, axles and hubs thus the backing plate centering hole is bigger than r160. The r180 hole is bigger than the bolt pattern for EA/ER hubs thus rguyver simply welded a ring inside the r180 backing plate with the ea pattern drilled into it and bolted the assembly up.

R160 backing plate center hole is a hair over 10mm larger in diameter than the ea/er mounting hole, thus the ea holes have to be drilled into the ej r160 backing plate.

Th ej backing plate fits flush to the EA hub/trailing arm, there is no spacer between them. What I have done is simply made a ring with ea inner diameter and ejr160 outer diameter that makes up the difference in diameter as well as a plate that sits outside the ej backing plate.

These are the full dimensions of what I fabricated minus one alteration I did when I actually went to put averything together and forgot that I needed to make room for the movement of the lever that controls the handbrake shoes:

CORRECTanddimensionedeatoejadaptorc.jpg

There were a few things I wanted to acheive:

Reversibilty: If at some point I ever dump my car and went ej any alteration I did to the r160 backing plate couldn't prevent it from being returned to an ej car

Safety: Must be as safe as stock

No welding

Must be able to fabricate with simple electrical/hand tools (...who was I foolin'?)

No unblocked holes in the ej backing plate: This explains the unusual shape of the adaptor plate

Must be compatible with an ABS backing plate, crossbred kit is NOT (no you still can't mount and ej abs sensor)

and finally Must be freely availible to all who are as insane as I am:lol:

The prototype is made of 6mm aluminium. I will update here with the actual method and more pics (Please, Sis, can I borrow your camera again?) as well as complete DXF files and DWG for those that desire to do the smart thing and take the damn design to their nearest cnc water/laser/3 axis machine and have it do in seconds what I did with my hands a jig saw a drill press and a bench grinder..

damn anyone actually gonna read all that?;)

Kaz

Edited by PoorManzImpreza
  • Like 2

Good job man ! :banana:

I also made the EJ E brakes work too , i used the EJ handle and cables , ill post pics if interested .

I'd really appreciate it if you'd re-post the pictures of your project. as the ones you posted before were in the old gallery, and are no longer there.

• 5 years later...

Here how I did mine, plasma cut and welded in a EA (these were XT but any work) rear backing plate inner ring and mounting holes to an EJ backing plate. If you do it this way, be careful to clock the backing plate correct so the handbrake cable doesn't hit the trailing arm. Also, make sure you weld the back side flush, the plates have slighting different thickness.. EA plate was thicker iirc. I used the handbrake and entire brake assembly from an 07 OBS. Sorry for the bad picture of handbrake mounting but you get the idea.. Didn't get a picture of it finished, the car was totaled later..

Edit: The machined ring like Nico did it would be the preferred method tho and doesn't waste a EA backing plate. The ring dimensions are shown in the post by PoorManzImpreza.

img0367mn.jpg

img0373uva.jpg
img0375pz.jpg

img0331t.jpg

Edited by Ibreakstuff

• 2 weeks later...

Is the XT hub special? Can i use any EA82T rear disk hub?

What did you use for a rear hand brake cable?

The XT6 rear hubs are the missing link, you will need 2 of them no matter what parts are used for the 5 lug swap. Those hubs are compatible with any EA82 4WD trailing arm. EA82T hubs are only 4 lug.

I used the entire brake assembly from an 07 OBS (GD Impreza) but any subaru rear disc bits should fit fine. To save yourself the trouble of researching brake parts, you can just use the rear backing plates/calipers/brake rotors/e-brake assemblies from the same car.

Edited by Ibreakstuff

So i CAN use EA82T parts if i want to stay 4 lug. (which i will take to 6 lug.)

How did you run your parking brake cable????

Well, EA82T bits doesn't have the inner ebrake assembly. You *might* be able to get away with a early EJ backing plate/ebrake assembly and a EA hub/caliper/brake rotor but I have never attempted this before.

Drill holes in the chassis, there are 2 layers of sheet metal you will have to drill through.. Stepper bit works best because they are so short. There is a flat spot on both sides right where you want it. Then run the ebrake cable above the rear sub-frame into the cabin where they would normally go in a later model car. I also filled the void between the sheet metal with foam insulation, added grommets, and painted it on both sides.

This is the only picture I have, not the best.. Note the bracket holes were not drilled and bolted down yet. 

img0376kr.jpg

Edited by Ibreakstuff

So i CAN use EA82T parts if i want to stay 4 lug. (which i will take to 6 lug.)

How did you run your parking brake cable????

The 4-lug brake setup is completely different. The brake and suspension upgrade options for 4-lug, are convert to 5-lug. If you want to stay 4-lug, you'll have to be creative.

As for routing. I had them go down through the tunnel just like on an EJ car. It wasn't hard, I just used a hole saw, and then cut out between the holes with a cutoff wheel.

PICT3385.jpg

PICT3387.jpg

BUT. It should be mentioned, that I had issues with the cables rubbing on the driveshaft. Now, I had a one-piece shaft (car was a FWD car), so this may not be an issue with a stock 2-piece...but make sure you've got adequate clearance. If I were to do it again, I'd drill through the vertical bulkhead just behind this and go through there.....

Edited by Numbchux
  • Like 1