Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Someone got to close to my car and took off the passenger side view mirror the other night.

Now it's just hanging by the wires. I can get it to fit back in place but I don't see how to get it to attach.

It's as if it just broke away.

Is this thing hard to reattach or replace? if so how is it done?

Thanks for any help

I replaced the door mirrow on wife's 98 OBW. When the mirror is broke and hanging by the wires, you are better off cutting the wires to remove the mirror, so it won't scratch the door. No amount of glueing will repair the mirror, so recommend replacing it.

If it is like my 98, it is held on with screws that are found behind the triangular shaped plastic trim directly opposite the mirror inside the door. Gently pry off the trim piece with a flat blade screw driver to access the screws. Some of those screws are a bear to loosen, because they are on so tight. I couldn't get enough leverage with a regular screw driver to loosen two screws, so finally resorted to using a 3/8" drive with phillips head screw driver attached to its tip.

Replacement mirror from a wrecking yard cost me $75. Figure close to twice that amount for a new one from a Subie dealer.

It is not particularily hard job, just annoying. Take your time, and you will do okay.

Will I need the wires when I get a new mirror? I'm kind of afraid to cut them.

I think there is some kind of heating element in the mirror powered by the wires. I could be wrong about that.

pop off the trim piece on the inside behind the mirror and there will be a plug. Unplug the wires and pull the whole mirror off wires and all!

Will I need the wires when I get a new mirror? I'm kind of afraid to cut them.

I think there is some kind of heating element in the mirror powered by the wires. I could be wrong about that.

The wires go to a connector. When you get a new mirror, it will have a wiring pig tail to plug into the connector. This wiring is for the power mirror.

There is a separate wire connector for the heating element. I think it is a single wire that goes to its own connector. The replacement mirror that I bought from a wrecking yard did not have the heating element. Subaru makes both heated and non heated mirrors.

The bottom line is..........it's okay to cut the wires on your existing dangling mirror. Your replacement mirror will come with replacement wiring.

You may have to remove the door panel to get at the connector. I just had my door panel off to fix the inside door lock and found the connector for the mirror. It is easy to remove. Take the triangle piece off by prying with a screwdriver (could be a tweeter but comes off the same way but has wires attached) then pry off the caps in the door pull and by the door handle and remove the two screws. Then take a flat stiff putty knife or interior panel tool and slide tool between the metal of the door and the interior panel and pry by the little clips to pull them out. You may have clip that you have to pull out before you go any further towards the front of the door panel that gets hidden by the dash when you close the door. have fun:)