Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru Chopper!!!

Eriks got a good point there.

My car has 2" from the cat back with no muffler and it sounds wicked, more power at all rpms, not loud at idle but goes from a clean growl to a wild howl that'll compete with a tight v8 in coolness of sound if not speed. Even at high rpms it isn't too loud to hear the radio. With the heater fan on 3 or 4 you cant hear the motor under normal driving unless you strain your ears.

One thing I would like to say - the stock y pipe is smaller than you think. It's double walled, and there's about 1/8" of space between the inner and outer walls. Making it about 3/8" smaller on the inside than it looks....

2" from the heads is just way crazy big for a stock EA81. If you start adding a Weber, and a high flow intake, and a different cam, etc..... maybe, but even then I think it's probably too large.

incidentally - I'm running a completely stock exhaust on my Weber'ed wagon - except I just left the muffler off. Yep - straight pipe. Pulls good considering I'm running 28" mudders. Sounds like a beast too. Purrs like a kitten at idle, but if you open both barrels - well - there goes the neighborhood as they say......

GD

Miles put up a link to my exhaust. I went with 2" pipes, because it matched the port opening in the heads. The engine is also an EA-82. Built it out of EMT electrical conduit, because the price was right, FREE!

She runs good in the lower RPM's, but really comes on from 3500 on up. Mufflers are Xcellerator Turbo's. Not to loud, till you womp on the loud pedal.

OH good old exhuast. What a mystery it really is when you start making your own setups. So far here is what I've learned on my EA82 SPFI

OEM exhuast. 1 7/8" the whole way. An even strike between low end and top end. Ran great and sounded lame.

Dual 2" straight pipes to cherry bombs. No cross over. No cats. No y pipe. Ths resulted in no REAL power before 4000 RPMs. Ran okay and sounded good.

Home made Y pipe using OEM headers, custom bends, OEM cat (gutted out) and a mid-pipe back to a glasspack (tractor muffler) This was 1 7/8" the whole way with crush bends. Had great low end power that pulled all the way too 5000 RPMs. Ran great and sounded good.

Dual straight pipes. No mufflers, cats, cross over or Y pipe. Just OEM headers welded directly to 1 7/8" straight pipes. One slight bend in each pipe just to make them hug the body. This again results in no real power before 4000 RPMs. Runs okay and sounds MEAN.

After all this bull I am just goi ng to bolt on an OEM EA81 y pipe assembly and weld up all the stupid extra holes, weld on a mid pipe and a nice glass pack. I expect good low end, dont care about the top end and it will sound good.

The reason I belive dual pipes w/o an expansion chamber (cat) Y pipe, cross over pipe or X pipe is due to the fire order. ONe head fires (1, 3) then the o ther head fires (2, 4). This leaves a larger gap between pulses 1/3 and 2/4 in each pipe. If you dont combine the pipes quickly you will suffer in performance due to a lack of scavanging. This can also result in higher combustion chamber temps as there is no 'sucknig' effect on the exhuast gases in the chamber when the exhuast valves open. I think a lot more thought went into that OEM exhuast system on both EA81 and EA82s then we care to admit.

stealing the thread here... can anyone make me a pipe to replace the muffler.. shops around here won't do it..

all i really want is to replace the oem muffler with a glasspack..

this is on an ea81 hatch btw..

if anyone can do this and ship it to me that'd be great.. let me know..

yes, i could write up about exhaust, pertaining specifically to subaru applications, combination of parts, et.

right now, between my, my buddies, and toms subarus, we will have 4 examples to write about.

we will be playing with the exhaust on the RX, so turbo applications too