Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 Subaru wagon knock problem

Guest vinder

My 2 wd 92 legacy wagon with 95K has developed an intermitend pre-ignition problem during acceleration. Sometimes during acceleration the car knocks like crazy and seems low on power. At other times it accelerates just fine without any knocking. The computer does not show any trouble codes (connected black leads) Could this be the knock sensor? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Guest Legacy777

Have you done all the routine maintenance stuff like plugs, wires, fuel filter, air filter, etc?

It's possibly you got some weird gas, run some dry gas through. Also, you may have severe carbon buildup in the combustion chamber and the carbon is staying hot and igniting the a/f mix rather then the plug.

Try running premium. If that doesn't change how the car reacts, it's probably something other then the carbon, or at least that may not be the major culprit.

Guest vinder

Hello Josh

Thanks for your reply. The car is perfectly tuned with new plugs, timing belt, pvc valve etc. done about six months ago. I tried some strong fuel injector cleaner a while back but it made no difference. To decarbonize it I guess I could get the engine nice and hot and then use a vacuum hose to suck a little water into the intake manifold. On the other hand since the problem does not occur all the time I thought that maybe one of the sensors was at the end of its life.

Regards

Al

Guest Legacy777

Give the water trick a shot. I've done that on mine about a month or so ago. It perceivably helped things.

If that does nothing, it's goin to be more difficult to try and track it down.