Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Worn Starter Contacts?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 biggunsnu

biggunsnu

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Auburn

Posted 15 March 2009 - 11:37 AM

Recently changed out the EJ25 engine in my 1997 Subaru Legacy Outback with a Japanese equivalent, everything works great but for the fact that after the initial start once you reach your destination it will not start again, not even engaging the starter. I am thinking it's a bad starter but was wondering if anyone has any other ideas. The starter is receiving appr. 12V

#2 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Gold Subscribers
  • 6,351 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 15 March 2009 - 12:27 PM

Recently changed out the EJ25 engine in my 1997 Subaru Legacy Outback with a Japanese equivalent, everything works great but for the fact that after the initial start once you reach your destination it will not start again, not even engaging the starter. I am thinking it's a bad starter but was wondering if anyone has any other ideas. The starter is receiving appr. 12V

you need to rule out the ignition wiring. next time it happens hot wire it from the positive battery post to the small tab connector on the solenoid of the starter, not the big heavy guage one. if it fires then the problem is not the starter contacts. if it doesn't then it's the starter.

but new contacts may correct it even with the wiring being less than perfect / original. less juice / amps from the ignition wiring and old contacts combined, may be the problem, correct either and it may be fixed.

contacts are pretty easy, but i chose to install a relay, really easy.

#3 Olnick

Olnick

Ol' Subaru Guy

• Members
  • 2,613 posts
  • Honolulu HI

Posted 15 March 2009 - 12:30 PM

. . . not even engaging the starter.

Sounds like the solenoid may be bad. Might want to remove the starter (it's easy, one bolt and one nut--at least that's how it was on my EJ22) to check the solenoid's plunger action and condition of the contacts. If it's just the contacts that's a cheap and easy fix.

Or if you have to, replace starter and/or solenoid with a reconditioned one. Personally I would avoid a chain store rebuilt starter. Check around for an auto-electric shop locally--ask local mechanics who they use.

Good luck.

#4 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,252 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 15 March 2009 - 01:54 PM

you need to rule out the ignition wiring. next time it happens hot wire it from the positive battery post to the small tab connector on the solenoid of the starter, not the big heavy guage one. if it fires then the problem is not the starter contacts. if it doesn't then it's the starter.

but new contacts may correct it even with the wiring being less than perfect / original. less juice / amps from the ignition wiring and old contacts combined, may be the problem, correct either and it may be fixed.

contacts are pretty easy, but i chose to install a relay, really easy.

Legacy already uses a relay.

All the issues I've seen in newer gen are from blackened, carbon scored contacts in the starter.

#5 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Gold Subscribers
  • 6,351 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 15 March 2009 - 04:43 PM

Legacy already uses a relay.

you're right, as usual, but adding a relay at the starter to my 97 obw, eliminated my no start problems.

#6 biggunsnu

biggunsnu

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Auburn

Posted 18 March 2009 - 04:51 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone, tried jumping the wiring like you suggested with no luck. Now onto starter removal and replacement with fingers crossed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users