Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Recently changed out the EJ25 engine in my 1997 Subaru Legacy Outback with a Japanese equivalent, everything works great but for the fact that after the initial start once you reach your destination it will not start again, not even engaging the starter. I am thinking it's a bad starter but was wondering if anyone has any other ideas. The starter is receiving appr. 12V

Recently changed out the EJ25 engine in my 1997 Subaru Legacy Outback with a Japanese equivalent, everything works great but for the fact that after the initial start once you reach your destination it will not start again, not even engaging the starter. I am thinking it's a bad starter but was wondering if anyone has any other ideas. The starter is receiving appr. 12V

you need to rule out the ignition wiring. next time it happens hot wire it from the positive battery post to the small tab connector on the solenoid of the starter, not the big heavy guage one. if it fires then the problem is not the starter contacts. if it doesn't then it's the starter.

but new contacts may correct it even with the wiring being less than perfect / original. less juice / amps from the ignition wiring and old contacts combined, may be the problem, correct either and it may be fixed.

contacts are pretty easy, but i chose to install a relay, really easy.

. . . not even engaging the starter.

Sounds like the solenoid may be bad. Might want to remove the starter (it's easy, one bolt and one nut--at least that's how it was on my EJ22) to check the solenoid's plunger action and condition of the contacts. If it's just the contacts that's a cheap and easy fix.

Or if you have to, replace starter and/or solenoid with a reconditioned one. Personally I would avoid a chain store rebuilt starter. Check around for an auto-electric shop locally--ask local mechanics who they use.

Good luck.

you need to rule out the ignition wiring. next time it happens hot wire it from the positive battery post to the small tab connector on the solenoid of the starter, not the big heavy guage one. if it fires then the problem is not the starter contacts. if it doesn't then it's the starter.

but new contacts may correct it even with the wiring being less than perfect / original. less juice / amps from the ignition wiring and old contacts combined, may be the problem, correct either and it may be fixed.

contacts are pretty easy, but i chose to install a relay, really easy.

Legacy already uses a relay.

All the issues I've seen in newer gen are from blackened, carbon scored contacts in the starter.