Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sorry about the double post but I realized I put to much info in my first post....I apologize..

New to the forum hoping to get some advice here. I just pulled the TCM code for my flashing AT Oil Temp light. I used a method that counts the flashes long and short(the shifting etc,etc). Anyway the code I came up with is 76. From my research this means the 2-4 brake duty solenoid detects open or shorted signal circuit.

I do not understand cars. I am just trying to know what I am dealing with so I can make an informed decision and not get ripped off.

If you can explain this in somewhat non-technical terms as far as the possible solution and cost I would greatly appreciate it thanks...

Also the light does not flash when I first start the car. The Check Engine Light is now on all the time as well.

I suggest you first determine why the CEL is on. It may just be an OBD-II code for the same thing as the TCU one (76 or 77) -- if it is, knowing that code will determine for certain if the TCU is flashing 76 or 77. If not, it could provide a clue as to what else might be happening. If you have one of the larger automotive stores nearby (AutoZone, Advance, etc.), they often will read the code at no charge. Let us know what it is -- Pxxxx, not the code definition, please.

We think it is code 77. [...]

If the TCU code is 77, the OBD-II code should be P0743. On the other hand, if the OBD-II code turns out to be P0778, that corresponds to TCU code 76.

Either way, the job is about the same. The shop needs to start with testing external to the trans. Simple resistance checks can determine if there's a wiring or connector problem (open or short circuit), as well as if the particular solenoid appears to have an out-of-tolerance resistance reading (again, possibly open or full/partial short). If the solenoid resistance reading is wrong, it will require going inside the trans to further verify the problem, and most likely change the solenoid. If the wiring, connectors and solenoid seem to be okay as determined by external testing, there's a procedure to determine if the TCU itself is causing the problem.

I hope that gives you enough 'ammo'.

I have been told that 5 of the 7 solenoids in the trans are dead! [...]

1) Who told you that? How was the conclusion come to? If by getting codes read, we need the codes to better determine what you're dealing with.

2) It's highly unlikely that so many solenoids are bad. It's much more likely that a connector isn't fully engaged, or that vermin have chewed through wires. If that's what actually happened, there may be no bad solenoids.

5 dead solenoids...Not

Turns out that wasn't the case. Now they don't know what is wrong. Thet put new trans fluid in, cleared the codes and took the car for a spin. It is shifting and driving normaly. I spent all day in the shop cost me 162.00 and no real resolution.

Funny thing is they assumed the solenoids were dead because they couldn't get them to click by applying a charge. ( I don't know) When the new solenoids came in from the part store they tried to get those to click as well and they didn't(still don't know).

At that point I was ready to leave, which I did...

Very scary experience here...I have used this shop for years....Owner of shop is a former subaru mechanic.. This mistake could have cost me greatly....