Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My ABS must be in the code reading mode as it always flashes code 11 on every time I start the car and the ABS light will stop blinking when I put my foot on the brake and will not come on again...

However (bear with me..)

this morning I was curious if the ABS was working since i suspect it being in the code reading mode and the ABS kicked in and the ABS light came on solid..

HOWEVER... when I got back home I did not know the ABS pump was still running while the car was OFF and parked with the keys out.. it caused me to drain my whole battery dead... so long story short I brought a new battery and hooked it up and as soon as I did the ABS pump started running again with no keys in the car.. since I could not find the fuse I just pulled the plug near the ABS pump since I could not find where the fuse was...

My question is Is it doing this because it's in the code reading mode? and How can I get it out of that mode? (I heard it's two plugs under the dash but I can't find them)

I found this...

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/1995-to-1999-subaru-legacy-2.htm

"Brakes: Some of the ABS (antilock brake system) hydraulic motors were faulty, causing them to run intermittently even after the key is turned off. (1995-98)"

Edited by 1-3-2-4

ABS code 11 is the 'Hi there, I'm talking to you' code :). If there's no other code following the 11, then the ABS diagnostics isn't seeing any problem.

Look under the dash, to the right of the steering column, for a black connector. It will be a six-position one, although not all of the positions may be pinned out. The particular connector (B82) is used for diagnostics, and grounding certain pins puts particular circuits into test modes. See if there's a black wire 'diagnosis terminal' stuck in one (or two) of the positions, and if so pull it/them out. See http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showpost.php?p=668884 for a diagram of B82 and the 'diagnosis terminals'.

If that doesn't stop the running of the ABS pump motor, it's possible that the relay might be sticking (a common problem).

• 2 years later...

i need help i want to disconnect the ABS i cant stand the way it works better with it off anyone know where the fuse is and which one it is or what it looks like i dont see it under the hood. is it by the gas pedal if so which one is it LOL i dont have a diagram LOL

replace the relays. my 94 did this, and i just unplugged the abs module since i don't trust abs. my dude's 92 svx did this too. this is a documented semi-common problem, wich is related to overheating relays to the abs module.

Oh crap lol I did not know I started this thread lmao..

This car is loooong gone :( but like it has said before it had a TSB about a faulty relay that got stuck.

Whoops, i replied without looking at the date. But anyway it turns up in search result as information. reviving an old thread is not necessarily bad if more relevant information is posted in the same topic.

i know to pull the fuse but do not know which one it is i dont have the thing marking them i know theres 3 rows of fuses under the dash but which is for the abs what row and number fuse

http://www.designlabx.com/subaru/fusebox/fuseboxcover.jpg

Pull the 20 amp fuse labled ABS Solenoid. If you pull the one next to it that says ABS/cruise your cruise control won't work.

The orientation of the cover is so the ABS fuses are on the bottom row.

Edited by mattocs

i need help i want to disconnect the ABS i cant stand the way it works better with it off anyone know where the fuse is and which one it is or what it looks like i dont see it under the hood. is it by the gas pedal if so which one is it LOL i dont have a diagram LOL

rather than digging up old threads, it is better to start your own - you are more likely to get answers to YOUR specific issue that way. :Flame: